JUST HATCHED !! CAN THEY STAY IN WITH THE ROO!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by silkeyldy, Jul 27, 2008.

1. silkeyldy

silkeyldy New Egg

Jul 27, 2008
    K3 Area
    I am new to this site and have a concern about my
    2 newly hatched silkie chicks. I have 2 white silkies a hen and a roo as pets. The hen was laying nearly every day for a cycle of about 3 wks then would go broody. Shes nearly 1yr old now and the last time she went broody, we decided to put the last 2 eggs that she layed, back in with her just to see if we'd get any babies!! WELL !!!!!!
    WE NOW HAVE 2 BEAUTIFUL BABY CHICKS!!!!
    My concern is that I'm not sure if it is OK to leave the hen and chicks in the same box as the roo. I don't know if he will try to peck or hurt them???
    Please help!!

2. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    im not sure what you mean by box but silkie roosters are typically nice and i wouldnt move them unless he became a problem, she can protect the chicks from the rooster and btw silkie roostes are known for being paternal.

3. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I would just watch them closely. I have a few roosters who would never think of harming chicks and even protect them from other chickens that do try to hurt them. I normally just put the hen and chicks in a giant dog crate with food and water for their protection though until the chicks are feathered out and bigger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by