Just Hatched Chick Can't Stay Upright

StarChicken

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 14, 2010
Benton, Arkansas
She was just hatched today and from the start, she couldn't stay upright. She finally turned over and could lay for awhile on her tummy, but if she tried to stand, upside down again.

From what I can see (my experience is very limited), her head seems to be a bit too wobbly.

Is there anything I can do to help her? Daughter said something about cardboard boots, but I'm not sure it's her legs.

I put them in a clean sour cream container with a paper towel folded in a square on the bottom. It can keep them upright and give them something to push against to get to standing.

I think wry neck is a deficiency. I haven't dealt with it though so I'm unsure. I would think it's just weak from hatching and needs some time.

I think wry neck is a deficiency. I haven't dealt with it though so I'm unsure. I would think it's just weak from hatching and needs some time.

OK, I have it in a plastic bowl, and it's back in the incubator for now, but it seems to want to stand on its butt! I mixed some electrolyte and vitamins and gave it a drink, which it didn't want at all. No, I didn't force its beak open . . . but I think it got a little.

They don't need any food or water for a few days as they absorb the yolk just before hatch, so I wouldn't worry about giving it anything right now.

Update: I now have two chicks with the same condition. Sigh . . .

I picked one up to see if its legs would move, and they do, although the right leg seems to be turned out. When I hold the chick, it wants to stand straight up with its head thrown back. When I put it down, it flips over backward; kind of stands up and falls over backward. When they finally rest, they lay on their sides.

My daughter just came in like a whirlwind and said it is definitely wryneck, so she started them on polyvisol. The poor babies so want to stand up; they try and try to no avail.

But hopefully, with the added vitamins, they'll be up and going in no time.

Let me know how it goes. Good luck with them.

Thanks. I will.

All eight eggs are now hatched and I have six "good" babies and the two helpless ones. I'm not going to give up on them; I have poly vi sol now, and they're drinking it. A tiny bit at a time, so I won't drown 'em.

Do you have any idea how often I should give them vitamins? I have a mix of 3 drops per tablespoon and am giving it to them every four hours. Also, when should I start to feed them some kind of slurry of their chick starter and boiled egg yolk?

Mine generally will start eating and drinking by day 2, not much, but they start pecking at it. I don't know about the vitamins, but what you are doing sounds reasonable.

Back
Top Bottom