Just-hatched chick keeps getting stuck on Brinsea thermometer? What do I do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Queen Singalong, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Queen Singalong

Queen Singalong New Egg

Aug 29, 2014
    This is my first hatch. I'm using the Brinsea Advance. It's day 22. One egg pipped yesterday morning and hatched this morning. It's about 3 hours old. It keeps getting it's neck caught on the thermometer and I am panicking that she is going to choke to death! I have the brooder ready, but she's still a little wet. No pips on the other eggs (or movement or chirping - they were shipped eggs so I am nervous they won't hatch). Anyway, is this a design flaw or normal? What should I do? If I open the incubator that could ruin the other eggs' chances of hatching right? Thank you! Here are some pics of what keeps happening:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    :welcome. Hope you enjoy the site. I have to say I have not used mini advance but I do use a octagon 20 advance ex with humidity pump. With having the pump you use evaporation pads with it that hang down in the middle of the incubator. When I have chicks hatch they have had their heads stuck in the pad and the side of v clips that hold it in place have even gone to sleep like that. From looking at your pics your chick looks to be resting if it's bothering you give the incubator a tap to move it off it. They are much more resilient than you think. I would leave it longer before moving to brooder as you say you still have eggs to hatch. Congrats on your new chick and good luck with the rest of your hatch.

3. JenMervine

JenMervine New Egg

Dec 3, 2013
    This happened on mine, too. Freaked me out! So after that hatch, I took the assembly apart, used a dremel tool to shorten the post thing and put the thermometer up higher.

I am not recommending you do this, but me being me (which means I tinker with things) I did.

IF you do this, I strongly recommend that after the modification, you run the incubator on a known correct temp so you can get a difference reading. Moving mine up that 1/4 inch changed the temp readout by -0.5 degrees (because the bulb is now closer to the vent). That means that if I am shooting for 99.5, I have to get the thermometer to read 100 for it to be accurate.

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I know you are freaking out, I'd probably be a little paranoid of it too...but that is so cute!! lol It looks like she is using it as a pillow/neck rest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by