Just hatched chick with eye injuries!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by awarmrainyday, Jun 22, 2016.

1. awarmrainyday

awarmrainyday Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2014
    One of my bantams eggs hatched a day early. Thankfully I checked under her today because I found this little one with the side of her head bloodied and she wont open either eye. I have no idea what happened to her, she could only be12 hours old. Maybe the roister thats been after momma?

I cleaned her up and put terramycin on her eyes and neosporin on her wounds. She wont open her eyes so she cant see but if I gently open her eyes they look normal. Her butt was pasty and looks red, maybe a little prolapsed? I cleaned that up too and she did drink water when I dip her beak but she doesnt stand she just flops around when she wants to move.

She is in a brooder with a teddy bear and Im monitoring the temperature. Is there anything else I can do for her? How often should I be dipping her beak in water and how and what do I feed her? She obviously cant do either on her own. Ive had chicks before but this is my first hatch. Help!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. HopieGirl4Ever

HopieGirl4Ever The Chook Artist

Oct 23, 2014
    At my Desk
    I'm so sorry! I'll bump this up, I hope someone can help you.

3. awarmrainyday

awarmrainyday Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2014
    Well I'm very sad to say that this little one passed away about a half hour ago. It looked like she just had too much head trauma, the bruising had gotten worse. Im still baffled as.to what may habe happened to her. Momma has three more efgs to hatch so hopefully this was just a fluke.

4. HopieGirl4Ever

HopieGirl4Ever The Chook Artist

Oct 23, 2014
    At my Desk
    So sorry! [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by