just hatched ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sewbrooks78, Jan 23, 2017.

1. sewbrooks78

sewbrooks78 New Egg

Jan 23, 2017
    Good morning! I've been reading this site for 2 years and just joined! I have 5 chickens and 4 ducks since last spring, 3 male and one female duck. My female duck started laying on a nest at Christmas, because its so warm I think she thought it was spring. Sunday morning after the tornado's passed, I live in South Georgia; btw the news is down playing the destruction... I finally felt it was safe to start tending to the animals and I found 13 baby ducks, and today found one more, so 14! [​IMG] They all look healthy! My question is do I leave the babies in with the adult males and female or do I bring them in to my inside cage, that their parents were raised in?! I want them to survive, and I plan on keeping one male and the female out of my original group and trading/selling the other two males and babies for other varieties of females. The pen is big, but we really only want 4 ducks at a time in it, according to my husband... so! separate or keep together?! Thank you![​IMG]

2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    You can keep them with the mom, but I'd separate the 3 adult males from the ducklings. Then just watch mom - if she's not doing a good job, then bring them in, but she'll likely be fine.

3. sewbrooks78

sewbrooks78 New Egg

Jan 23, 2017
    Thank you for your reply! Separating the males is the one option i currently can not do. I do not have another pen for them. My only real option is to bring the babies in, but I didnt want to upset the female duck. or I leave them out there. I put a heat lamp out there, but the babies were laying under that and not there mom, so I took it back out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by