1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just hatched grey goose goslings

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Theresa1967, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Theresa1967

Theresa1967 New Egg

Mar 11, 2014
    Hello, I just hatched my first clutch of Grey Goose goslings. I have two so far, and I have 7 more eggs to hatch. Will flock raiser crumbles be sufficient for them? My adult pair forage and eat the crumbles, but really only like the rye grass and clovers. Should I add grass to my gosling food and if so, at what age? Thanks for any help

2. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    Congrats! Flockraiser is fine and I usually feed grass/dandelions from the get go, too. Are you planning to let the parents raise the goslings?

3. Theresa1967

Theresa1967 New Egg

Mar 11, 2014
    I would love to have their mother raise them! Is there a way to introduce hatched chicks to their mother and have her raise them? My geese free range on five fenced acres. I only have the pair. I have other poultry, ducks, cows, goats, and such so I usually use a moveable chicken pen to grow them until they are big enough to be on their own. I thought I would have to raise them and put them in a chicken tractor outside once they are feathered. Thanks so much for your reply.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  4. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    Absolutely. Geese are excellent parents! Depending on the goose and/or gander, you can walk out with babies in hand, show them to the adult, and the adult will immediately try to take them. If you have concerns, you can put goslings in a kennel/tractor and let them get acquainted that way for a day or two.

If weather is an issue, you can set up a pen in garage or shed with heat lamp and the adults will usually move in and stay with the babies, guarding their pen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by