just hatched here is my first baby

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by farmer_fred, May 20, 2008.

1. farmer_fred

farmer_fred Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2008
    here is my first baby, I was woke up at 2 AM from it. took it from the egg at 8 AM, took picture at 9:30AM. all eggs on back row may be rotten eggs, just going to wait on them. I did not expect the eggs until thursday to hatch, so it is all a waiting game. I do keep the humidity at about 50 %, but out of the bator, it runs at 75% in the house. the only issue I found with the baby this morning is that it would lay on its back. since drying up, it sits as it should.

[​IMG]

2. farmer_fred

Mar 17, 2008
    and if you think it is gross, it was slimy this morning taking out of the egg, but the thin coating is still on the keet, that is just the egg, not skin.

3. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    AAAWWWWW! It's so cute! Oh, and [​IMG]

4. suenrob

suenrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    [​IMG] and congratulations on your first baby! What breed is it?

5. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*CONGRATS!! and welcome to the asylum!! [​IMG]

6. farmer_fred

Mar 17, 2008
    daddy is a big black wild looking turkey, mom is black standard bronze, and ky red burbon mix, I have not had another tom since last year. I had 2 tom turkeys. all the other eggs, still have to hatch. another day anther night of no sleep with the peeping going on. my biggest issue was I still had the eggs in the trner until this one pipped thru and woke me up, all came off the turner and in the box as there are now. off to feed store for starter and grower and a waterer and feeder. I expected to clen them about thursday. just going to maintain the temp for now. hope to hatch at least a few more this morning, but no more piping thru yet. it peeps to wonder where we are in the house and we all check on it. I noticed on another posing hthat they used rocks in a dish, but this little one is still dring out. I checked the egg after taking it out, the "pipes" work, it shold grow up and be nice. the 2 years old now look more like a standared brone with a red tone to them, so, they look like the wild turkets we see beside the road near the 4 lane that opened this spring, you could see anywhere from 10 - 30 in a field, and all of them fly over the road, or.... they could just walk beside road on the overpass to the otherside of the road. well, off to feed store now.

7. MaryT

MaryT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2008
    Elkton
    congrats on the first baby....so cute

8. farmer_fred

Mar 17, 2008
    got home seriousl at 12:30 Am, baby #2 was born and almost dry, both are in a plastic shoe box on top of the bator in a dry dish towel. will be funny in a few weeks and the babies follow me around. after all, I am the first thing they have seen.

9. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Keep that bator closed! At hatching time your humidity needs to be upped to 65-70%. Opening and closing the bator drops the humidity and temps and puts the rest of your hatch at risk.

Now, having said that, congratulations!
    [​IMG]

10. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by