just hatched Muscovy ducklings

livinthedream2

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 13, 2013
Buxton, Oregon
Good afternoon! Our momma duck's eggs are hatching. Do I need to get Duckling/game bird starter food? Are ducks like some other birds and regurgitate for the ducklings? Also, the male is enclosed at night with the female. Do I need to separate him now from them? Will he hurt the ducklings? We are total newbies -- just moved our batch of nine purchased chicks out to the barn - first time we've raised anything! Thanks for any and all advice!

Miss Lydia

Enlightened
Premium member
10 Years
Oct 3, 2009
Mountains of Western N.C.
Good afternoon! Our momma duck's eggs are hatching. Do I need to get Duckling/game bird starter food? Are ducks like some other birds and regurgitate for the ducklings? Also, the male is enclosed at night with the female. Do I need to separate him now from them? Will he hurt the ducklings? We are total newbies -- just moved our batch of nine purchased chicks out to the barn - first time we've raised anything! Thanks for any and all advice!
Ducklings need either chick starter or duckling starter mama can eat it too. some do use game bird feed but protein is extremely high I think around 30% so you'd only keep them on it about 2-3 weeks before you'd have to cut the protein to keep possibilities of angel wing down. I'd either go with duckling starter or an all flock crumble, and I wouldn't keep the drake in with mama and ducklings just too risky they can be unpredictable and even kill ducklings, a space fenced off where the can see them and them him would be ideal to help when they do get to be together again. in about 2-3 weeks. Good luck and let us know when they all hatch with pics of course.

Miss Lydia

Enlightened
Premium member
10 Years
Oct 3, 2009
Mountains of Western N.C.
Thank you so much! Here is a pic. I don't know how many eggs there were, but I think I've seen about 7 ducklings so far.
Aww mom looks to be doing a good job, she'll show them food and water soon so put it close by. nothing too deep at first though you don't want a duckling falling in an drowning. Congrats!! pic of great cheap waterers for ducklings
I actually make 2 one with hole large enough for mom and one with smaller hole for babies.. I sit moms up higher so the littles can't fall in. This helps keep spills to minimum I set them on an old serving tray that way any water is contained to the tray and can be cleaned off daily. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom