Just hatched my first chick! Updated with "chick pics"!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kelliewindham, Oct 26, 2010.

1. kelliewindham

kelliewindham Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2010
    Trout
    Well I am new here, and have been reading everything in the forums for a couple weeks now. Some of it multiple times! [​IMG] Anyhow, I just minutes ago hatched my very first chick. I was so afraid I would do something wrong. These were eggs from my girls, and they are on day 20. The first pipped around 7 am, and I have really had to control myself wanting to stick my hands in there, but I managed to restrain myself. Mycontrol paid off, one just hatched and another has pipped. Yay![​IMG] I started with 12, five candled clear, and 3 of the remaining were easter egg so I couldnt see, but the first one hatched come from a green egg. I did days 1-18 in a hovabator, lockdown in a diy that I put together by pouring over plans on this site.

Anyhow, just wanted to say hi, and share my good news! [​IMG] the rest of them hatch!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  2. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    Congrats! We want PICTURES!

3. TheFarmMama

TheFarmMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Stafford, VA
    [​IMG] Congratulations! Beware though, hatching is an addiction!!! lol

4. kelliewindham

Oct 3, 2010
    Trout
    So far three have hatched, a couple more have pips. This is sooo eggciting! Patience is not a virtue I was blessed with, so Im sitting on my hands now! [​IMG]

I will try to upload my pics later this evening.

5. TheFarmMama

TheFarmMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Stafford, VA
    Yay, congrats on the new feather babies! [​IMG] What are you hatching besides EE?

6. kelliewindham

Oct 3, 2010
    Trout
    Just barnyard mutts! I have EE, GLW, RIR, Silkies, Frizzles, NHR, Various cochins, and a few "mutts". I have no idea which rooster fertilized these eggs, I really thought they were all a little young to actually "get the job done correctly", but I wanted to try some of mine before ordering eggs. Make sure I knew what I was doing! LOL

7. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    [​IMG] Congrats!

8. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    [​IMG] Congrats and Hooray [​IMG]

And pictures are required!!

Jenny

9. shortstaque

shortstaque Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Bucks County, PA
    Wow! Big accomplishment. I think I'm going to try using a broody when it is my turn to hatch eggs (I'm thinking early spring). You are so brave to use a bator. From what I've read it can get pretty technical and there's so much that can go wrong. Sounds like you did well though!!!!

Congrats! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    WTG [​IMG] [​IMG] I'm hoping mine hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by