Just hatched my first egg...help! More Pictures posted!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by michelle43, Feb 20, 2011.

1. michelle43

michelle43 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2011
    Vermont
    My first chick just hatched....he keeps rolling over on his back and doesn't seem to be able to stand. He's on a foam surface that came with my Brinsea incubator. He's also got a red bulge on his butt. How long before he should be walking normally??? I will try to post pics in a minute.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    He just needs more time in the hatcher or incubator if that's where you're hatching. He needs to absorb the rest of his yolk, his tummy is too big for him to stand up right. If you can fix a small area for him (like a margarine container with deep shavings that you can form into a bowl shape, that's perfect. BUT only do this if other eggs aren't in lockdown in the hatcher. [​IMG]

3. gitlost80

gitlost80 Trigger Pullet

Mar 27, 2009
    Reno/Sparks
    They flop around like little drunk people for a couple hours. His belly button is that thing your seeing. sounds perfectly normal. Congrats!

4. michelle43

Jan 27, 2011
    Vermont
    Thanks so much everyone! I've uploaded a picture on the 'uploads' tab but don't know how to get it in the post...it didn't come out very well anyway....it's kind of foggy since he's hatched.

5. IroquoisEgg

IroquoisEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Fair Oaks, CA
    After uploading the pic, copy and paste the image link underneath the picture right click for copy then go back to your message and right click for paste. do a preview of your message and your pic should be there. Oh I am excited for you! I am day 20 right now of my 1st hatch and see nothing yet. no shaking or rolling...

6. michelle43

Jan 27, 2011
    Vermont
    THanks...here is the awful picture. The second chick just hatched too. I have to run to the store, but I'll post more pics later.

[​IMG]

7. michelle43

Jan 27, 2011
    Vermont
    Quote:Don't worry...I didn't see any movement at all. Then today, all of a sudden I noticed a dark spot on the egg. It's very exciting! Congrats to you. Tomorrow will be great!

8. gitlost80

gitlost80 Trigger Pullet

Mar 27, 2009
    Reno/Sparks
    His red bulge looks a little different than just a normal belly button. Keep him in the incubator as long as he has that thing. It may need to absorb more, so keep him in the humidity. Cant really tell what it is from the picture...

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  9. michelle43

Jan 27, 2011
    Vermont
    okay, will do. The second chick's bulge isn't nearly as big as the first chicks. I plan on keeping them in the incubator for 24 hours if necessary. I'll try to get a better picture.

10. michelle43

Jan 27, 2011
    Vermont
    Okay, it's been a couple of hours and now I realize that both chicks have the red 'blobs' on their butts. Here are a couple of photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is this normal and I'm just a newbie freakin' out??? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by