just hatched orp chick cool brown color

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jimmythechicken, Apr 28, 2011.

1. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    here it is very cool looking looks like a dull brown
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    we have black blue lav buff an white orps.this guy could be hanging around we want to see what color he feathers into.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  2. Beth G.

Beth G. Gaetano Family Farm

Quote:That looks like a Chocolate Color Orpington. I would see what the wing feathers grow into. All the same length is Roo If the inside Feathers are shorter its a pullet. You can also do the flip test. If it holds it's legs tight to its body against its belly it's a Roo. If it drops its legs down loose straight out it's a pullet [​IMG]

I would hang onto this little fluffball!!

3. jimmythechicken

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    thanks beth gog knows we have a few black roos to breed back 2.lol we will bring it with us when we buy the blues from you so you can get a closer look at it.

4. Beth G.

Quote:Sounds good to me!! Can't wait to meet the little bugger [​IMG]

Did Debbie get her email I sent her? I took a bunch of chicks out and took pictures. I have a mottled Lav in there!! Can't wait to see what he turns out like. It's a cockrel of course [​IMG] lol Just my luck eh?

5. jimmythechicken

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    yes she got it she loved them she is trying to decide how many she wants prob like 4-5 she love the blues the most

6. Beth G.

Quote:Okie dokie [​IMG]

I will put aside the best 5 then for her [​IMG]

I will bring that mottled so you all can see it too!

How many blacks did you get from your hatch?

7. jimmythechicken

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    Beth G. :

Quote:Okie dokie [​IMG]

I will put aside the best 5 then for her [​IMG]

I will bring that mottled so you all can see it too!

How many blacks did you get from your hatch?

at just a fast glance last night looked like maybe 4 will send you pics today of the chicks so you can let us know what you think.​

8. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Beth G. :

Quote:That looks like a Chocolate Color Orpington. I would see what the wing feathers grow into. All the same length is Roo If the inside Feathers are shorter its a pullet. You can also do the flip test. If it holds it's legs tight to its body against its belly it's a Roo. If it drops its legs down loose straight out it's a pullet [​IMG]

I would hang onto this little fluffball!!

The feather sexing thing only works if:
    "The breeder flock for the female line must be slow feathering only, and the breeder flock for the male line must be fast feathering only. To breed for the chicks you would then cross the slow feathering females with the fast feathering males. The resulting offspring would be the opposite of their parents. Females fast feathering and the males slow feathering."
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex-links/BRKFeathSex.html

The leg thing has 50/50 chance same as hatching 50/50....​

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by