Just hatched our first chicks:)

AZ_HenHouse

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 2, 2011
So we have been lurking here for some time learning lots about our chickens. Started with 4 chicks in March and now up to 7 hens-with a couple actually laying for us
big_smile.png
We had one go broody little over a month ago and after staying up way to late reading all about what to do.....we bought her some fertile eggs. Today is day 20 and so excited to have 3 of 6 already hatched.
celebrate.gif
Can't wait to go out tomorrow and see if the rest hatch.
tongue.png

I do have one question...
She is a little chicken-we think a banty cochin and her eggs are from full size chickens. We only put 6 under her and she seemed fine with that just wondering if she will be ok raising them or if she will be overwhelmed? Thanks for any advice and here is a picture of our lovely Starr and one of her brand new babies.

110764_starandbaby.jpg

Just started hatching chicks yesterday. I know there are 2 for sure. She started out with 11 eggs. One she has rolled out of the nest. She is a free range hen. Is there anyway to try and catch her and the chicks and pen them up or should we leave them alone and let nature take its course. The cats don't fool with the hen but I feel sure they are gonna go after the chicks. I need some advice PLEASE !

All 6 of our eggs hatched
ya.gif
We have 5 of the little dark ones and one little yellow one. The kids are so excited and momma is so good. She is very tolerant of everyone in looking at the newbies. Now I have to remember what they are. hhmmm
110764_yellowchick.jpg

110764_yellow_chick_in_grass.jpg

Quote:
Update : My hen hatched 6 out of 11 eggs !!
big_smile.png
She finally got off the nest. She kept them real close to her and the nest she had made. After dark when she was back on the nest with all her chicks, we caught her and her babies. As of now we have them in a large pet taxi until we can get some sort of pen to put them in. I hope to get all of my chickens to roost in some type of house. Right now we have 2 roosting in the woods and our rooster roosts on our dog pen. Any ideas on how to get them all in one spot at night. Thanks

Congrats on the hatch.
clap.gif
I am sure you will feel better knowing they are safe. We have ours secluded in our big pen right now. We are building a seperate run for them so they are in the coop but the big girls won't be able to get to them. Do you have pictures of the new arrivals?

Back
Top Bottom