Just hatched our first chicks:)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AZ_HenHouse, Nov 2, 2011.

1. AZ_HenHouse

AZ_HenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2011
    So we have been lurking here for some time learning lots about our chickens. Started with 4 chicks in March and now up to 7 hens-with a couple actually laying for us [​IMG] We had one go broody little over a month ago and after staying up way to late reading all about what to do.....we bought her some fertile eggs. Today is day 20 and so excited to have 3 of 6 already hatched. [​IMG] Can't wait to go out tomorrow and see if the rest hatch. [​IMG]
    I do have one question...
    She is a little chicken-we think a banty cochin and her eggs are from full size chickens. We only put 6 under her and she seemed fine with that just wondering if she will be ok raising them or if she will be overwhelmed? Thanks for any advice and here is a picture of our lovely Starr and one of her brand new babies.

[​IMG]

2. chick007

chick007 secretagent chickenman

Sep 25, 2011
    anchorage, alaska
    bantys make good mothers to about anything they will sit on. she will be fine with the chicks.

3. Christie Loves Silkies

Christie Loves Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aww Congratz!
    Cute pic!

4. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    awww! that is so cute! congratz on your hatch!

5. kbreak

kbreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    Just started hatching chicks yesterday. I know there are 2 for sure. She started out with 11 eggs. One she has rolled out of the nest. She is a free range hen. Is there anyway to try and catch her and the chicks and pen them up or should we leave them alone and let nature take its course. The cats don't fool with the hen but I feel sure they are gonna go after the chicks. I need some advice PLEASE !

6. AZ_HenHouse

Nov 2, 2011
    All 6 of our eggs hatched [​IMG] We have 5 of the little dark ones and one little yellow one. The kids are so excited and momma is so good. She is very tolerant of everyone in looking at the newbies. Now I have to remember what they are. hhmmm
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    so cute [​IMG]

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. kbreak

kbreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    Quote:Update : My hen hatched 6 out of 11 eggs !![​IMG] She finally got off the nest. She kept them real close to her and the nest she had made. After dark when she was back on the nest with all her chicks, we caught her and her babies. As of now we have them in a large pet taxi until we can get some sort of pen to put them in. I hope to get all of my chickens to roost in some type of house. Right now we have 2 roosting in the woods and our rooster roosts on our dog pen. Any ideas on how to get them all in one spot at night. Thanks

10. AZ_HenHouse

Nov 2, 2011
    Congrats on the hatch. [​IMG] I am sure you will feel better knowing they are safe. We have ours secluded in our big pen right now. We are building a seperate run for them so they are in the coop but the big girls won't be able to get to them. Do you have pictures of the new arrivals?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by