Just hatched some keets and would like to know about the colors

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by pbjmaker, Sep 14, 2011.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I hatched 4 keets yesterday and would like to know more about their colors. They came with some mystery swap eggs and I know nothing about guinea colors although I do know somethings about their behavior when they grow up [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    1.Lavendar
    2.Royal Purple Pied..?
    3.Pearl

Gosh I miss those days when they were that small! [​IMG]

3. GuineaLady93

GuineaLady93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    First one is a Lavender.
    Second looks like it could be a Bronze?.?. If not a Bronze then a Royal Purple or Pied Pearl.
    Third is a Pearl.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  4. livenwpeeps

livenwpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    King William
    The first one is a Lavender.

The second one could be a Royal Purple but I can't see the head that well. If it has sqiggly lines on his head it's a Royal Purple. If it has one wide stripe with a smaller stripe on both sides of the wide one it's a Pearl Pied.

The third one is a Pearl.

5. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Lavender, Pied Pearl Grey, regular Pearl Grey.
    Cute [​IMG]

6. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Are any of these colors more desirable than the others? I wish I could keep them but I live in a city and they just won't work here. I am trying to figure out how to market them for auction this Sunday. I REALLY REALLY wish I could grow them out [​IMG] How long until they become loud? I could maybe keep them until the final auction in October or the big swap September 25th. Just not sure if I will get much for them as "day olds" because people will be thinking about having to grow them out.

I did discover they will make a leap of death out of the incubator. They are almost as nutty as my button quail.

7. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    They usually start finding their voices at around 5-6 wks old, but don't become really noisy (as in sounding their alarm call at every little thing) until about 8-10 wks old.
    The Pearl Grey is the most common Guinea color, but if I were you I'd want them to go all together... and stay together. Guineas are much happier in flocks. I'd worry that if you sold them one at a time they are more than likely going to end up on someone's dinner table [​IMG]

Are they still in the incubator?

8. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    They were still in the bator when I took that picture. I had plugged in my heat lamp and the bulb wasn't working so I had to do some rearranging to get another heat source for them and it had to wait for me to get home from work. They are now in a brooder. They had food and water in there, so were fine.

I was going to put them all together but then was thinking of putting two and two. The auction I am going to has tons of guineas usually but they sell really well around here.

I seriously wish I could find a way to keep them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by