1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just hatched two chicks - Care Questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DangerChickenHouse, Mar 2, 2012.

1. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    1) They are 1 1/2 days apart. The oldest one tries to eat the newborn gook off the new one. I think she is hurting the other, so I have them separated. Is this normal? Am I misreading the situation? Was I doing the correct thing by separating them?

2) I went and bought chick feed from a local feed store. My two day old chick isn't eating it. Is it too early to eat?

3) I set up a make-shift brooder in my bathtub. The bulb is a normal light bulb. I will get a heat lamp tomorrow. The thermeter next to the bulb reads 90 degrees. Is this too low?

Thanks for you help!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Newly hatched chicks are still absorbing the yolk sac and so they do not need to eat for 2 days. Offer the food, and they will find it when they are ready. You do need to dip their beaks in water though.

As for the temperature, aim for about 85-90 degrees at chick level. Since you are brooding indoors, you will probably not need the heat lamp. A 75 watt bulb will probably get you there, depending on the height of the light. Make sure they have an area that is cooler, so if they get overheated, they can self regulate.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  3. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks! I went and bought a red flood light and hung it from the shower curtain rod. I think it's going to work!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by