Just hatched yesterday. possibly broken legs???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Terri E, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Terri E

Terri E Just Hatched

Aug 24, 2016
    Onalaska, Tx
    Just hatch 12 eggs beginning the day before and the last 2 hatched which ended way early this morning while I was sleeping.

This pic shown is that he is now dry but I see that there is a problem. I have placed those that are fluffed and dry or and away from the incubator since I have more eggs that still need time to hatch.

Please advise on what I can do.

Pic below.

[​IMG]

Now, this little one did not need any help. However my concern is how can this baby survive?

I have posted Earley about the process of hatching my eggs, which ate smaller than normal, in others words, my pullets first batch of eggs that comes out smaller before getting larger. Unfortunately, thought I had posted it on the correct forum about hatching eggs.
    So, let see if this is in the correct forum.

again any help is appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

2. ChkenKeeper

ChkenKeeper Just Hatched

Aug 19, 2016
    Tracy, California
    Well your chicken definitely displays an abnormality with the "splayed legs".
    Their are many ways that you can correct this but it takes about 3 weeks to correct it.
    I have been their and done this and it is a lot of work. You should cull this bird.
    I can explain the alternative fix but it is a long road to hoe. Just let me know.
    Hey look on the bright side you have many good one's.
    Focus on them.
    TNX.
    Barry (Farmer Sparky)

3. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Could be spraddle leg, but from what I can see the bird's leg is actually backwards, which would indicated a deformity. If that's what it is, it will very likely need to be euthanized. On the off chance it's capable of walking... let it be, see how it does. It may or may not survive.

4. Terri E

Terri E Just Hatched

Aug 24, 2016
    Onalaska, Tx
    The chick did not make it. I cried, still sad about it.
    watched it trying, but was destracted by a knock on door and when i came back. .... never thought I would be this sensitive.

5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Sorry for your loss. It's very likely nothing could be done for it; external deformations oftentimes are accompanied by internal, lethal deformations.

6. Terri E

Terri E Just Hatched

Aug 24, 2016
    Onalaska, Tx
    well, on the lighter side. I do have 10 that are chirping away. However, after they have dried, i quickly moved them in my prepared heated box for them.
    The Temp was decreasing and is a mess in the bator. I still have a mixtures of 14 eggs left.
    I quickly grabbed a thick towel, straddled them up to keep them warm. Cleaned the bator, have the temp rise and humidity too. placed them back.

Then, I heard it.
    A chirp from one of the eggs.
    Now, did I do wrong?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by