Just hatched

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rainy day, Jul 1, 2016.

1. rainy day

rainy day Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2014
    Arizona
    So I just had 2 new chicks and the hen left just before another one hatched. She won't take care of the new chick. She pecks at it when I try and add it to the other two. What do I need to do? Will it eat on its own?

2. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Not much information, my friend. A little more would help. Is the broody caring for the other two? Where do you have her and the chicks? Are they protected from the other chickens? How old are the other chicks? Is this last chick a late hatch?

If the hen has abandoned the latest hatch, you might assume something is wrong with it. Hens cull chicks they know have genetic problems.

But you can try to raise the chick yourself, but it would be best to brood all the chicks together if you choose that route.

Yes, you need to show the chick and maybe the others, how to drink and eat.

3. rainy day

rainy day Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2014
    Arizona
    The other two are 5 days older. They left the nest and mother moved on. Other chick was just breaking out of shell. I don't think she is the real hen as others kept laying eggs with her. But she sat on them and the others follow her around. She protects them and others don't seem to mind. I put the new chick in a box inside where it's warm n gave some food and water. Just wanted to know if she would eat on her own or if I needed to eye drop her food. Like birds. I keep forsing her Ito drink water and put wet food on her beek. Thanks for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by