Just have to Brag On My Bantam BR Broody...She's SUCH a Good Momma!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by baltimoreharps, Jun 22, 2009.

1. baltimoreharps

baltimoreharps Songster

Mar 27, 2009
    Cabarrus Co.
    I had serious doubts about this hen going broody, but she did, and since we had no roo, and no eggs from her, I bought some fertilized eggs for her to sit on from Quail_Antwerp.
    She sat and just about bit my hand off at times, and they hatched early!

I was expecting the worst with this being my first hatch, but had an over 67% hatch rate and lost only one chick so far!! [​IMG]

The rest are just total messes, so cute, and funny and they grow SO FAST!

I got a pic yesterday of a chickie hitching a ride on Mamma and a few others as they've grown over the last week and a half.

Newborn June 12th:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Week old:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hitchin' a ride from Momma!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is So cool!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

She also pecks flies and stuns them for the chicks, and anytime we go out there, we all get the "food comin' kids" call.[​IMG]

We've found out they LOVE hot dog bits...that's way better than cable tv!!

Just wanted to share, Iam SO hooked it's not even funny and now my honey's getting that way also! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  2. KellyHM

KellyHM Crowing

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Adorable!! I have a BL Polish broody that has 1-wk-old chicks. She hurt her foot and I took her in today to have it fixed...while I was gone the roo took care of the babies and had them all huddled up under his wings when I got home. Such good parents!!

3. baltimoreharps

baltimoreharps Songster

Mar 27, 2009
    Cabarrus Co.
    Quote:Oh, that is SO sweet!!! Good Dad!!![​IMG]
    That whole huddling under the wings, just stuns my dh. It was hard enough to get them under there last week, but now, she get ALL of them under when they are getting huge. She still tucks them under her and it's hilarious to see them under, but ALL of the heads popping out under the wings!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: