Just Have to Brag

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by RaZ, May 7, 2011.

1. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    I left my 6-7 week old chicks out in the pen all day and was gone for the evening. Got home just before last light of day and found that the chicks had put them selves to bed.

Of course the silly ducklings were huddled outside a mere 5 feet from the coop door.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

3. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Awww, so smart! [​IMG]

4. RaZ

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    Still bragging. Tonight the chicks went into the coop and the ducks followed them in instead of going to their own coop.
    The chicks have staked a claim up on the work bench and the ducks are on the floor a few feet away.
    Funny how they have claimed territory but still want to be close to each other.

5. ketcham

ketcham Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Marshallville,Ohio
    Mine do a good job in the movable tractor in the evening.It has a shelter box on it.I wait for dark,cause the girls know that I'm coming to get them to put them in the garage.No chasing them either.Hope to get a coop built soon.Kevin

6. RaZ

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    I have to get busy building my tractor. It will have a raised bed on top for flowers/vegetables.
    Today looks like a good day to go to the lumber yard.

7. AnaD

AnaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    Quote:My ducks and chicks are the same. I have a dog house for my ducks and at night my three 16 week old pullets and my three 8 week old ducks are cuddle inside together. My chickens put my ducks to bed I watched them herd 'em in one night. [​IMG]

8. RaZ

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    Tonight was different. The ducks went into their coop and the chickens just stood around waiting for me to open the door to their coop.
    Everyone is tucked in...in their seperate beds.

9. RaZ

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    Another night, another scenario.
    The chicks went into the duck coop instead of their usual place. After about 10 minutes, the ducks went in.

I peeked in and the chicks are up on the shelf and the ducks are down below. Everyone seems to be content and tucked in.

Does anyone else keep ducks and chicks in the same space?

10. AnaD

AnaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    I don't keep them that way...they just do it. I don't see the problem as long as everyone is happy. Many people coop them together without problem other than dirty water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by