Just how bad is USPS in California?

Morrigan

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 9, 2014
N. California
Pretty awful. I wrote last summer about a horrendous experience I had with chicks getting stranded at Sacramento's main distribution center for 3 days and arriving in bad shape. That same thing happened again in the fall with my cornish cross chicks. This year, I've had two orders of hatching eggs arrive with smashed boxes and broken eggs.

Well, apparently I'm not the only person who has suffered in Northern California. I just saw that one major hatchery, Jenks in Oregon, will no longer ship small orders of chicks (less then 200) to any California address due to "delivery and logistics issues, resulting in chick loss." You can either order 200 or more, and they will arrange a flight with a private carrier, or they will ship them to a Oregon border city and you can drive to get them. (This is a separate issue from the Southern California quarantine due to Newcastles disease, as Northern California is not under quarantine)

It's crazy -- they are able to safely ship to anywhere else in the US -- even Hawaii and Alaska -- but not to the state right next door because the postal service distribution center here cannot be trusted to treat the chicks carefully, and deliver them in a timely fashion I can only imagine the level of complaints they have had to deal with before deciding to pull the plug on California.

I have been buying my meat birds from this company for 5 years, and really liked their birds and service. It's a shame. Other hatcheries are still willing to ship here, but I'm reluctant to buy any shipped birds at this point. It's pretty clear that my problems last year were not simply bad luck, but rather business as usual. :(

How incredibly frustrating! :rant

I think there may be certain "problem" USPS routes, based on my own recent experiences with shipped hatching eggs (and I won't even try to have live animals shipped because of others' bad experiences). I've basically had good shipping experiences to date, so was very surprised when a shipment from FL arrived with a box that looked fine...and eggs inside that were smashed, dented, and scrambled. I only had 2 hatch from that batch, and that was good, considering how badly they were handled. I contacted the breeder and she shipped another set for the cost of shipping. Again, the box arrived looking fine - but the eggs inside were damaged, again. :th

Not as many completely crushed and severely cracked, but still clearly subject to rough handling. These are hatching now and the hatch rate is shaping up to be much better than last time (5 out already), but I'm staying away from FL hatching egg shipments in the future. :hmm

I think there may be certain "problem" USPS routes, based on my own recent experiences with shipped hatching eggs

Unfortunately just about everything in Nor Cal routes thru Sacramento, so everything is a problem route for me. In my last order of 6 shipped eggs, 3 were crushed in transit and the 3 intact eggs were coated with yolk and had to be washed. Amazingly all 3 surviving eggs are on day 14 and still developing. :fl

Unfortunately just about everything in Nor Cal routes thru Sacramento, so everything is a problem route for me. In my last order of 6 shipped eggs, 3 were crushed in transit and the 3 intact eggs were coated with yolk and had to be washed. Amazingly all 3 surviving eggs are on day 14 and still developing. :fl
That's fantastic that the 3 are plugging along! Eggs are amazing...that's why it's so aggravating when they're mishandled. And it's unimaginably awful when live animals are mishandled. :mad:

Wishing you the best of luck with your hatch! :jumpy

Back
Top Bottom