Just how dangerous can a rooster become?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Barn Maid Ann, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Barn Maid Ann

Barn Maid Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    Punta Gorda, FL
    I have four roosters of three different breeds. I only planned to keep three, but the extra one stole my heart and I haven't been able to part with him.
    Anyway, they are fine with me so far, but they have gone after my DH. With winter clothing on, no harm done, and they aren't deadly serious. Plus they are young and spurs are not developed yet.
    I am trying to work with the DH to cure the problem, but he doesn't care one way or another if we keep the boys. [​IMG]
    Geesh, we had to chase one down the other day, and it wasn't easy to catch him! I had DH carry him around for a few minutes. But I can't see DH going through all that bother each time.
    He actually acts kind of afraid around them, whereas I just go at them. He gets nervous with me going into the coop at night with them on the roosts, which are eye level.
    Has anyone been seriously injured by a rooster?

2. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

To answer your question in the topic title...EXTREMELY. Esp with small children. Think of them as a bull or stallion in a smaller package...they can be so aggressive and will not back down.

3. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    I haven't, but I have a friend that was spurred by a roo in her upper thigh and she almost lost her leg. The wound was pretty bad and it got infected.

I would watch this and get under control soon. I sure hope that there are no children around them. I have a little boy and if any of mine ever show any tendencies to spur, then they are going to the soup pot.

4. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    4 roos, especially if they're all getting aggressive, is too many to handle. A member posted in Meat Birds recently, showing a photo of where a roo nailed her on the face. You can loose an eye, or any number of other wounds, and small children are especially at risk.

You might try keeping just your favorite, get rid of the others, (give them awa, sell them, or eat them-mean roos taste great!) and there's a chance he'll settle down once the competition is gone. One roo, you may be able to tame down. If he proves intractable, I'd eat him, or re-home.

Please bear in mind if you choose to rehome, that you're passing a danger onto another person and their family. They should be warned of the aggression problem.

We eat our extra roos, and only the best natured get to stay any length of time.

It's not at all true that you need a mean or aggressive roo to protect the flock. Some of my best flock protectors have been gentle with both humans and the hens.

5. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I had a roo who turned mean. If I had not got rid of him, he could have and would have hurt me bad. I tried everything to get him to calm down to no avail. He got to the point where even though I was beating him back with a rake (this became the only way to protect myself) he would fly at my face repeatedly. My legs were black and blue and cut to pieces from him. It would have been much worse but he didn't have large spurs yet. I had to quit letting the kids go outside until he was gone. Trust me, a rooster can be a VERY dangerous animal!!!

6. mhaines4102

mhaines4102 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Stroud, Oklahoma
    I agree that you need only one roo. Not only will they fight each other and stay aggressive, but they will wear your hens out competing for heredity. I think most folks say 1 roo to about 12 chickens is a good rule of thumb. But I am not sure. I just know we had 2 roos and 11 hens and it became a problem. A neighbor had 3 roos and about 15 hens and they were actually getting their feathers worn off.

7. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Quote:Yes, that's correct. One roo to about a dozen hens is about right, but I have a problem anytime I have more than two roos. I keep between 25-30 hens, usually. Even when I've only had one roo, fertility was high.

Occasionally, you hear of somebody who keep more roos without a problem, (or maybe the problem isn't yet apparent) but usually fewer roos is better for all concerned. Hens get frazzled, raggedy, and start running and hiding out all day when there are too many roos.

8. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, I'd eat him... however I suppose you could cut the spurs off until you're ready to process.

9. WOW. I have over 20 roos in my barn.
    Lets see.
    ONE red jungle fowl (lost the other one recently to disease)
    ONE cochin standard
    ONE cochin bantam
    TWO black tailed bantams
    TWO unknown bantams (hardly see these guys anymore)
    ONE black bantam (still a baby)
    ONE leghorn (this is FOGHORN LEGHORN)
    ONE german spangle (a real sweetie)
    ONE roo we call the kellog cereal box roo cause he looks
    just like the ones in the picctures; small but not a banty
    THREE silkie roos (they are just adorable)
    ONE silver polish roo (he is cool)
    ONE golden laced polish roo (he is REALLY cool)
    ONE golden polish roo (he is cool)
    I lost a lot of polish roos this year to disease.
    TWO plymouth rock white roos (they are huge)
    ONE bearded OEG banty roo (I think, he is a purdy boy)
    There are others, but they are not comming to mind.
    This does not count the male guineas

I have only had ONE roo that posed a problem. It was the Cochin standard. He got the treatment and now he is a gentle boy. He used to flog my wife and almost lost his life one day to her.

I do pick up my bigger roos by the legs (except the red jungle fowl, we have an understanding. I only pick him up when he is in the mood.) and walk around with them in the barn.

The german spangle, the polish and the leghorn just get carried around under arm. They have gotten to be very gentle and they just go about their business these days.

The red jungle fowl is a fearce roo to anyone except me. He gets put up when visitors come. I need him to be this way becuase he protects the hens while they free range. I have NEVER seen him flog anyone.

So tell me I am crazy. I like my roos. Just remember, they are NOT your friends. They are the way they are because they serve a purpose. I have over 80 hens and NOT ONE of them has been hurt or even lost feathers.

One thing I do is I never let a roo mate a hen while I am in the barn. I chase them off, even the silkies, and run them for a good while. I am the king roo and they know it. Even the red jungle fowl knows this.

When I enter the barn, I have NO fear, in fact most of the roos come running to me cuase they think I may have a treat.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2008
  10. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Roo to hen ratio is important. I have 24 chickens and 2 of them are roosters...1 Cuckoo Maran roo and 1 Golden Polish Roo who is the biggest wimp and push over EVER! But my Cuckoo Maran started maturing and then he got tough...we did Rooster Red's Rehabilitation and after a few weeks he stopped. He would charge my one Polish hen every time she came out of the coop and we realized after awhile that he LIKED her most and let him mate her...he's a sweetie now. I let him mate in front of me...I've seen no difference....in behavior. He free ranges and protects the whole flock...will not go to roost at night until all the girls are in EVEN the other roo. He sits and waits on the step until all girls are in and I've even caught him herding them in.

When he started to get aggressive...we grabbed him and held him everytime. I told DH though that if he does not respect US...he will be dinner.

Good Luck...search out Rooster Red's home page....he details the rehabilitation nicely and regardless of what others think....it worked for us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by