Just HOW loud are call ducks?

GoatHouseProductions

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 12, 2011
I have a little urban farm with a couple of lil goaties and 4 runner ducks. Of course I have that itch we all get for more farm friends...my girls are great but I want more!! I'm going to add a couple more runner babies to the mix...but...I want something new and different and adorable!

Calls are so cute. And they'll be able to fit through my goat fence, as the Runners I currently have do, so we won't have to make a ducky door. I was considering Magpies, but we'd have to reconfigure things a bit...

So just how loud are calls?? Are my roommates and neighbors going to hate me if I get a couple of these guys? They've been so forgiving and understanding, I don't want to push my luck...but they're just so CUTE!!!!

The drakes aren't loud at all. However...as soon as my hens see me coming, it GAME ON at full volume. It rivals the decibel level at a concert(you know, like Metallica).
Seriously, the girls are LOUD when they want something, see something...yeah, they're loud.
You're right though, they are adorable and we don't mind the noise at all-seeing their adorable faces makes all of the noise worth it.
love.gif

Are they mostly loud when you're around?

If a call duck quacks and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

I mean, do you think they'll wake me in the morning before I go out to feed them? House is close to duck zone...

Quote:
No, it doesn't count!
gig.gif

I have to say, the best advice I can give you is to feed them LATE the night before because if they want to eat, then yes, they will see to it that you get out of bed and come feed them-on their schedule. They're a demanding little critter, but I've never met anyone that was sorry they had them. I have quite a few ducks so that is the reason for the tremendous volume. One or two little hens won't be deafening.
Yes, if they see or even hear you, the quacking WILL commence until you go and talk to them-at least that's the way it works around here...mine are spoiled beyond repair.

Yes, they will wake you to have you come out and feed them.

They will quack at each other, too. There will be ONE very vocal girl who bosses everybody around, loudly. Get out of MY pool, get out of MY way at the feeder, don't go away without ME going with you, the air is particularly tasty today, I have the prettiest feathers, your bill is in MY way, the ground is not wet enough, the holes we're drilling to China are NOT deep enough yet, get out of MY personal hole to China, and where are MY peas!?!?!?!

But they're SO FREAKIN' CUTE!

Quote:
OK-this is a FANTASTIC description.
IF that one bossy girl could curse and swear, just insert the curse words into gryeyes description at the appropriate places and voila-the most accurate description of a Call hen EVER!
lau.gif

Holderread is only an hours drive...hope my roommates/neighbors don't hate me too much. I don't think calls would make very good dinner...

My girl used to be SUPER loud, always quacking. But she has mellowed out, and I don't hear her quacking very often any more. Odd, but quieter! My drake freaks if he can't see his "girls"( Call duck & Pekin/Campbell mix-LOL) and they are SO MUCH FUN! I love them so much and even tho they can be loud, they are just so endearing and have ATTITUDE!
gig.gif
lau.gif

Edit: Holderreads IS AN HOUR AWAY?! and you don't have Calls yet?! Are you insane?!

Last edited:
I'm new to ducks! I got my first pair of runners in February, vowed I'd never do ducklings again (why oh why did I do them in FEBRUARY! I was so scared to put em outside, I kept em in for waaay too long), then bought a pair of crested runners from a local nursery about a month or so ago....and now I want...ducklings again...

I keep trying to remind myself what a PAIN they were...! But no luck! I want bebes!

Calls are just kind of impractical...they don't pay their rent with eggs like runners do...

Back
Top Bottom