Just how many eggs can she handle?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Harley's girl, May 3, 2008.

1. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

I am wondering, how many eggs can a broody hen handle? I have a standard size Americauna. She is broody and I just got some peafowl eggs in the mail yesterday. She is setting on some eggs I would like to take those from her and put the peafowl eggs under her. I have 5 of them!!!!! [​IMG] The wonderful man that I brought them from sent me 5 guinea eggs and 7 pheasant eggs!!! [​IMG] (This man is the worlds best seller ever) So I just want to know can my broody handle all of the eggs? 5 peafowl 5 guinea 7 pheasant. 17 eggs!!!!! [​IMG] I know that they can take a lot of eggs but is that too many for her? Thanks so much! [​IMG]

2. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Harley's girl :

I am wondering, how many eggs can a broody hen handle? I have a standard size Americauna. She is broody and I just got some peafowl eggs in the mail yesterday. She is setting on some eggs I would like to take those from her and put the peafowl eggs under her. I have 5 of them!!!!! [​IMG] The wonderful man that I brought them from sent me 5 guinea eggs and 7 pheasant eggs!!! [​IMG] (This man is the worlds best seller ever) So I just want to know can my broody handle all of the eggs? 5 peafowl 5 guinea 7 pheasant. 17 eggs!!!!! [​IMG] I know that they can take a lot of eggs but is that too many for her? Thanks so much! [​IMG]

I have a hen(not sure what breed,but she quite big) that has gone broody. I set 14 EE eggs under her last night. She is doing fine and ever egg is under her. Not too many for her.​

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I only put 12 under my standards......

4. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I have my first broody hen ever. She is a White Rock and a good size bird. When she got off the nest yesterday to eat and drink I counted 16 eggs!! But I think a couple of them were smaller size from the couple of banties that I have. She covers them completely.

5. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

I am just worried about the size of the peafowl eggs. They are huge!!! [​IMG] I had no clue that peafowl laid such big eggs. I know that she could handle the guineas and pheasant but the peafowl too? I was praying for another broody and got one but then she "flew the coop" lol [​IMG] When I checked on her she was not on the eggs and was not interested to be on the eggs! [​IMG] I give my hens the royal treatment too, they have a coop of there own, a private nesting box, a non-public waterer, and there own personal food bowl! LOL I didn't even get that special of a treatment when I had my girls!!! LOL [​IMG] I hope that one of my silkies will go broody then I would be no big deal! Oh well, wish me luck and send me prayers [​IMG] Thanks guys! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by