Just How Much Can They Take??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TwoCrows, Nov 8, 2011.

1. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I wasn't sure where to post this question, although it does seem like a behavior question. [​IMG] Anyway, this morning the temp was 25 degrees with a ripping northern breeze, the sun was not up yet and the wind chill was big 13 degrees.

I let my 4 Black Australorp girls out, (they are 9 months old now) and they didn't seem too bothered by the cold. They weren't quite as mobile as they usually are, but they went about their business eating and scratching around in the wind.

Should I build them a windbreak for winter? I mean, this is only fall yet and when the winter winds and snow start blowing, (we are up at 7,000 feet and get tons of winter up here!), how much cold can they take? They do have access to a greenhouse, which I am going to clean up and get it ready for them to hide out in if they want to go in. Their coop is a bit small and they rarely go in the coop except for egg laying and night time sleeping.

Should I be worried about a 13 degree wind chill? Were they cold and I didn't know it? Aussies are supposed to be a winter hardy species and I chose them for this reason. Thanks...Leyla [​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

They can take quite a bit of cold. Helps if they have a dry draft free place to get out of the cold. The green house sounds like a great idea.

Imp

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

What Imp said.

4. Crehan

Crehan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2011
    Montgomery, AL
    I also have 9 Black Australorps and they don't sleep in a coop anymore ( Only when they where young).

They now sleep on a piece of wood under a shelter.
    Here in South Africa the climates are harsh but the Aussies can withstand extreme temperatures.
    In the summer it reaches about 45 degrees Celsius and in the winter about -5 degrees Celsius.

That is one of the reasons I chose Australorps.[​IMG]

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Thanks everyone for the quick replies! I cleaned up a section of the greenhouse for them and hopefully they will have the sense to use to get out of the wind. They will follow me inside, but won't go in by themselves yet. I fed them some treats in there today and now I can't stop them from following me in! I will have to leave their food and water inside and hopefully they will brave up and go in on their own. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by