Just How Old Is The Average Hen When It Stops Laying Forever??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by suzettex5, Jan 28, 2011.

1. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    I'm wondering because I have an Easter Egger (hatchery stock) that layed very well the first 2 months after I got her, have had her about 10 months now, and havent seen a single egg from her in 8 months! This is not a molting issue, or even a seasonal thing, its been too long for either of those to apply ( at least, I think so, since her feathers are perfect and she stopped laying right before peak laying season)

I was told she was 1 when I got her, she looked in good health and still is very healthy. She eats like a pig, has no feather or health problems (no mites, lice, worms, scaley legs, weight issues, etc). I cant figure it out!??

I am curious if there is a generally accepted age when most hens just stop laying all together, or if it could be something else. Maybe I just cant recognise a senior hen?

2. sunshine23

sunshine23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    Hialeah, FL
    I have no idea so I cant help, just wanted to say that I love what you have in your signature [​IMG]

3. suzettex5

May 26, 2009
    California
    Awwww, Thanks!! [​IMG]

4. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    I heard 4 to 5 years.

The egg production gets a little less every year.

PS. Would you really be willing to give chickens to a stranger off the street to start a flock? Just wondering.

5. suzettex5

May 26, 2009
    California
    Quote:Um, No, I wouldnt just hand over chicks to any random stranger off the street, dont be silly! My siggy line is intended to be read by BYC'ers- who, by the way, are pretty much ALL into chickens. I'm also known by my friends and family as the person in their circle to go to to start a flock, get advice, maybe get a replacement hen or two, etc.

One thing that brings alot of joy to my life is to share my love and passion for my poultry. There is nothing like seeing the joy in someones face when they finally realise how great keeping chickens is, and its soooo wonderful to be able to contribute to that by way of my own flocks' progeny.

6. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    Just curious. It was meant just as curiosity more than anything. Don't be mad.

Oh and my answer was a bit off. My DH says 3 to 4 max. I was overestimating. Although by 4 I doubt much is coming out.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Many non production bred hens will lay throughout their lifetime at a gradually decreasing rate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by