just how possible is Fowl Flavus this time of year?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by moonnippie, Mar 10, 2015.

1. moonnippie

moonnippie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2014
    My hubby has been taking care of our 3 Columbian rockx ladies most of the winter. Last night he mentioned they looked like they have flour sprinkled on their combs. We've had a long cold snowy winter, our coop isn't heated but the water bucket was to keep it from freezing. We switched back to the hanging wsterer last night. They are all eating well and don't seem thin or sick. We get 1-2 eggs a day between the 3 so that seems normal too. We applied betadine and athletes foot cream and spray this morning. I'm a vet tech so doing treatments aren't an issue. I'm just wondering what the reinfection rate is like and what else can we do to prevent a reinfection.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Keep everything as dry as possible. Keep your infected birds away from your other birds, favus is chicken ringworm and is contageous. It's possible humans can contract it as well. Wear disposable gloves when applying lotrimin cream or miconazole cream to affected areas. It may take 2 or 3 weeks to completely clear up. And yes, birds can get it again.

3. moonnippie

moonnippie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2014
    Ok thanks, its going to be next to impossible to keep everything totally dry as the run is full of snow and melt off is coming in from every direction. We will change out the shavings every other day. We took the plastic wind block off one of the 2 coop windows and im off to buy some snow fencing so we can extend the run another 50' and they can get more room to stretch/sun. We only have the 3 birds and they all have a few spots each. Glad we are on the right track. I just thought warmer weather (like hot humid summer) would cause it over cold damp spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by