Just installed my eletric fence

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickendude, Sep 24, 2009.

1. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    BEWARE!!! Coons, opossums, coyotes bears and what ever may stroll by. I have always locked our chickens up each night but with the new hot wire I feel they will be secure [​IMG]
    But I will energize the fence tonight and if all holds up I will leave the pop door open tomorrow night.

2. woolymama

woolymama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2009
    Central Virginia
    We're looking at putting up electric poultry netting soon - there's bob cats around here as well as bears, fox, coyote.....well you get the idea. I think we'll all sleep better at night knowing there's a huge shock between those predators and our feathered babies![​IMG]

3. chickendude

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Quote:Exactly how I feel. [​IMG]

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i think it's fun just watching the chickens find it.....[​IMG]

5. chickendude

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    That sounds a little sadistic. [​IMG] The hot wire runs around the top and bottom of the metal dog kennel run. It is about 5 inches on the other side of the fence. And there is chicken wire 2 feet high all around the bottom. So they really cant stick their necks through and reach the wire. But if one does I can almost guarantee she will drop an egg right where she stands. [​IMG] It may even come out cooked already. [​IMG]

6. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    it is. we stand there and watch and just laugh!

7. chickendude

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    You sound like our kind of people. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Was it hard to do .... the electric fence installation? I want it, but think I won't be able to figure out how to do it. Is it very expensive?

Oh, and what about the chickens? They get shocked, obviously? They are so small, doesn't the shock kill them?

9. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
  10. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

and will not hurt the chickens when done correctly.

Yea, that's what I'm worried about!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by