Just joined (after looking about for a year or so! ;) )

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by arak, Jan 8, 2017.

1. arak

arak New Egg

Jan 8, 2017
    I've been popping on to BYC for a year or more, as we've had chooks off and on over the last 10 years. We've just had about 9 months with no chooks, after getting fed up with feral cats, foxes and neighbor's dogs breaking in and doing damage. We've just acquired a new, fully enclosed chook "tractor", so will be turning the old run into veggie gardens and letting the new tractor act as the "lawn mower"! We're planning on letting our chooks free-range the garden in the day (when we can supervise) and then put them in the tractor when we're away.

After collecting chooks from here and there, one at a time in the past, we got a whole "flock" at the stock auctions yesterday! Very pleased with our motley tribe - 3 legbar pullets, 4 young Maran/Faverolle/Cochin cross "mutts" (point of lay, we were told - they look young) and one very handsome boy who looks like he may be a legbar! It was wonderful waking up to the sound of chooks this morning, and the toddler has been watching them all morning, as they learn how to get up and down the ladder![​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BYC910

BYC910 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] nice looking tractor. sounds full and the grass is green . Watch out for digging dogs and the like .

3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under arak [​IMG] Welcome!

That pictures of your toddler watching Chicken TV is adorable! I do hope you have better luck with this flock; I bet they are loving that grass!

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

You might want to say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

4. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

It's always nice to see kids enjoying chickens!

5. arak

arak New Egg

Jan 8, 2017
    We're going to put a "skirt" of weld mesh/aviary wire around the bottom to stop digging dogs! Today is being spent training OUR dogs where the "no go zone" is (and they're learning quickly) :)

6. arak

arak New Egg

Jan 8, 2017
    Oh he LOVES the "boks" and the "doodle do"! ;)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Your child knows that watching chicken TV from a comfy chair is the best entertainment. No satellite dishes, no cable bills, reruns etc. - what's not to like?[​IMG]

8. arak

arak New Egg

Jan 8, 2017
    ...and NOW we get an email from the Shire saying that Benedict (the rooster) needs to be gone by the end of the week! :( :( Apparently a neighbour has complained (new neighbours either side since the last time we had a rooster).....so off I go to find an appropriate board to search for a new home! :( :( [​IMG]

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, arak, and :welcome! Glad you made it official and joined our community! But sorry you have to give up your rooster. Hope you find him a good home! Best wishes. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by