Just joined from California

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LaurieSanDiego, Sep 30, 2011.

1. LaurieSanDiego

LaurieSanDiego New Egg

Sep 29, 2011
    Hi all! I'm Laurie from San Diego (couldn't come up with anything better!)
    I've raised chicken in my backyard for over 10 years, but this year I'm going 100% organic. I have 5 sex-linked birds of which I will never try again. I have 6 8 week old babies of purer breed; 2 Buff Orpingtons and 4 Rhode Island Reds. The most skittish chics I've ever had...hopefully they will learn which side of the preverbial bread is buttered and get to like me.

I just bought some meal worms. Husband says OK to raising them.(He is so cool...) That goes with the earthworm bin and my highly productive organic garden. I planted a chicken forage crop from (can I say this?) Peaceful Valley Garden Supply and so far they love it when I let them out of their run to eat it or I cut some for them. I've never had sick chickens, thankfully.

I've taught and written professionally about organic gardening and agriculture. Its nice to see how many knowledgable folks here. I'll look for some pics soon!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Sounds like you may have some knowledge to share as well. Glad you are here.

Imp

3. ChickensXOXO

ChickensXOXO Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    [​IMG] Glad to have you aboard.

4. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    [​IMG] from Missouri [​IMG]

5. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

6. chic-a-deee

chic-a-deee Chillin' With My Peeps

WELCOME....

I joined yesterday...LOL
    Cant wait to hear your info on organic gardening. Have been wanting to try it for years. Want to go organic & healthy for my 3 children
    ages 9, 7 & 5.

Warm Regards [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hi from Kansas, Laurie and [​IMG]. Great to have you here. I know what you mean about skittish birds - I have small mixed flock of future egg layers. All are reasonably calm except for two Anconas. Those two are like popcorn in a hot kettle - nothing seems to calm them down. Best of luck to you and your birds! [​IMG]

9. Nmarine1057

Nmarine1057 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Byhalia Ms
    Hi and [​IMG] I lived in san diego for awhile when I was in the military beautiful place thanks for joining I know you will love it here!!

10. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! So glad to have you with us!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by