Just Joined From TN

JGC403

In the Brooder
Nov 2, 2015
I have been doing research in raising quail and stumbled across this site. Looks like it will be helpfully and already has a lot if information on the site.

I had quail before, but I bought mature birds from a breeder. I had used the quail for training my German Shorthaired Pointer. They were fun to have around, so I would like to get some again. I was surprised how hearty they were, I kept them through a harsh PA winter and I didn't loose any.

The coop I made was a "Call Back Pen". There was a funnel made out of chicken wire that was built into the side of the coop close to the ground. The other end inside the coop, was angled up and just high enough that it was above their heads, so they couldn't see down it. Worked pretty good, I would only let a handful of birds out at a time for dog training. Usually by the next day most of the birds are back in the coop. I figured letting them out was probably health for them also, since they had a chance to fly, and eat stuff besides what I was feeding them.

I'm down in TN now. So this time I'm looking at getting eggs and starting from scratch. I'll need to get a incubator, make a brooder, and make a new coop. When I took apart the old coop there were earwigs in the joints. Need to figure out a way to prevent this.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Quail section in Other Backyard Poultry under the Forum at the top of the page. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

earwigs are attracted to damp areas - I hate them - they are probably too ugly, for the chickens to want to eat them.
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom