Just Joined Today...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by iwiw60, Jan 27, 2014.

1. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Just to introduce myself...I'm a single retiree living in Central Oregon. "Back in the day" I used to have chickens and am now thinking to get back into the swing of things once again. But at my age I'll have to do this on a very small scale that's for sure. I think I'll have 4 chickens, no rooster (yet!) and see how it goes. Here in Central Oregon we have extreme temperature swings...could be +75 during the day and plummet to +25-30 at night during the summer months. During the winter months we are literally in a deep freeze. The months of Dec/Jan/Feb can see the temps fall to -20 at night, so I am concerned about their well being. I think that with such a small flock and coop I could keep them safe and healthy with a simple light-bulb system.

If anyone has any thoughts they'd be most appreciated...thanks!

2. The Farm

The Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2013
    Luther, OK
    Hey!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! As long as chickens have a well ventilated draft free place to roost they won't need an additional heat source, I would be concerned about fire danger. You may want to post in your state's thread to get recommendations/info from locals about the weather coops etc: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you good luck :)

4. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you here in the flock [​IMG]

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

I look at coop heating like this....I will turn on heat if the over night low is going to go 25+ degrees colder than what they are normally used to. So if your over night low average is 5 degrees, and it is going to get down to -25, if this was my coop, I would turn some heat on. This much temp drop is a shock I would think. Many people will tell you they would be fine without extra heat. So it is up to you. But as Liz has mentioned, proper ventilation is VERY important. Don't go shutting down all the vents. Leave most of them open in these temps. This is the time that you TRULY need a lot of air to move out the moisture from the pooping and breathing. 1 square foot per bird of ventilation is recommended. So keep it airy. It is better to lose a few degrees and moisture than to keep it warmer and humid. Not only frost bite occur on combs, but the birds will be wet. And wet and cold can kill them faster than colder but dry.

If you do use heat lamps, do NOT rely on the clamp to attach the light. Make sure the lamp is permenantly attached to the wall so it can not fall.

Good luck and enjoy BYC!

6. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Thanks for the reply .. appreciate it! :)

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC, and welcome back to poultry keeping.

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by