1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just joined y'all!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jherge, Feb 19, 2016.

1. I have a small flock that is almost a year old. I started with day old chicks last year in April and have enjoyed them so much and am always wanting to add more chickens. I am ready to incubate some fertilized eggs and add them to what I have now, and hopfully continue on in hopes of having some of my own girls eggs fertilized and hatched. As of now I do not have a rooster but am thinking I may end up with at least one if I am able to find some eggs to put in an incubator. I am in clay county Florida, which is basically north Florida. Jacksonville area. Looking forward this awesome journey ahead.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] so glad you have joined us.

I have no experience hatching but would expect you may end up with more than one rooster?

Enjoy your flock and wish them a happy hen's first birthday for me. Good luck with your upcoming hatching adventure.

4. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and a warm welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. I hope the great advice given by Sumi helps you out.

All the best
    CT

5. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Fore!
    [​IMG]

Come on over to our state thread and say hello to other members in FL:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/305793/florida-always-sunny-side-up

What breed(s) of chickens do you have now? I haven't done any incubating but I'm sure it must be very rewarding and exciting...there are quite a few serial hatchers around BYC, lol.

Make yourself at home, it's nice to have you here!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Do you know what breed eggs you would like to hatch? While you are waiting for the right eggs, you can research incubators and how to use them. Some are trickier than others, I've heard.

It's also good to plan ahead, since any egg is a gamble as to male or female. Generally it is much harder to place males, so that is something to take into consideration.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by