1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just joined

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by J3nn32, Sep 25, 2015.

1. J3nn32

J3nn32 New Egg

Sep 25, 2015
    Hi, my name is Jennifer. I was told about this website by a friend of mine because I'm trying to do more on my little farm. I like being outside more than in my house. That includes my kiddos. I will be starting chickens next season so I'm preparing this season. So, I'm looking for good ideas for chicken houses or coops with chicken runs. [​IMG] so excited.

2. ch1ckenlover

ch1ckenlover Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2015
    VA
    I haven't gotten chickens yet either,(I will in spring) but I joined to get advice. I have been thinking about buying a cheap shed on Ebay or Craigslist and turning it into a coop instead of buying an expensive coop that is already built. Have fun on BYC!

3. J3nn32

J3nn32 New Egg

Sep 25, 2015
    I'm going over to my friends house to see here's and get an idea. She and her husband built theirs.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Flock Master Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You may want to check out the coops section above for ideas, styles, sizes and some reasons for building the way they do. Chickens need draft free secure coops, with ample ventilation, they don't care if it is fancy, painted, recycled, whatever. They just want a safe home. You can also join your state thread (put state name in the search box) to find out how experienced chicken folk get them through the extremes of climate, what breeds do best and so on. Welcome to Backyard chickens.

6. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flocK! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by