Just joined

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mizola, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Mizola

Mizola Just Hatched

Jun 23, 2016
    After 2 months of obsessively researching, my husband and I built our coop and just got 5 chicks. They're about 1 1/2 weeks old. We have a Buff Orpington, a Rhode Island Red, a Black Astralorp, an Americauna, and a Silver Laced Wyandotte. I know it will be a several weeks until they move out to their coop, but am looking for advice on that transition - the best way to get them used to it and to go in to roost at night. Thanks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Congratulations on getting your new chicken adventures started :clap What a fabulous coop you have there :D We have a coop contest running right now that you might like to enter ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-and-run-page-contest-winter-spring-2016/0_30
    How to create a coop page and enter the contest is all in the first post of the thread. Please do check out this link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=Moving+out+to+the+coop#
    Lots of info in those threads about getting your little ones moved out to the coop.

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

3. Jucodeo

Jucodeo The Sky is Falling!

Jun 15, 2016
    Hey
    @Mizola I am super excited you joined us at BYC and i would like to tell you... [​IMG]!
    This is a great place for researching all day and all night. I am happy to hear you are so into chickens and I want to personally tell you that you sound like a great addition to our roost here! Now that I have transitioned you to our roost it is time your chicks get into the roost with no issues. When they are about 3 months old you should introduce them to the coop.. This way they will be pretty used to each other and as long as they are all hens pecking should be very uncommon. Even if you have a rooster if they have lived together for almost 3 months pecking will not be severe. Definitely check out those links Yorkshire Coop left and and our Learning Center is always great for research especially obsessively https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center If you wanna post pictures of your chicks and tell us how they are doing post those here https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/40/family-life-stories-pictures-updates All the best of luck to you and your flock and I hope you have a great Friday!
    Justin [​IMG]

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us and congrats on your coop and new little flock!

Best wishes
    CT

5. Athaid

Athaid Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Mizola, Welcome to BYC :welcome Your coop looks great! Good luck with your flock, see you around :)

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] Love the Log Cabin Coop! I put my chickens out at 6 weeks. I simply put them out and let them explore. Then at night I checked on them and made sure they were locked in. I had no problem getting them to perch because when they were in the grow-out pen I had provided a perch low to the ground and they were already perching when put in the big coop.

[​IMG]

When I put them in the big coop I provided 4 x 4 blocks on the floor and had a ramp going to the perching area. Which included the top of nest boxes (Not good requires extra cleaning) The actual roost is a 2 x 4 located behind me. You can see the 1 x 6 on the left leading to the actual perch. Most folks have a simple ladder type perching system to give all the birds an equal chance to perch.

[​IMG]

Remember you need lots of ventilation in your coop as chickens produce lots of moisture during the respiratory process. And the feces, once dry, can be very dusty. You don't have to be fancy as the birds will be very artistic with their poop. Keep the coop open, airy and easy to clean.

[​IMG]

Enjoy your flock! Try not to over think and just have fun with your chickens!

2 people like this.
  7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] That is a lovely coop! Good luck with the transition.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. Mizola

Mizola Just Hatched

Jun 23, 2016
    Thanks for the warm welcomes and good advice. I do tend to overthink things, but generally common sense prevails.

10. Jucodeo

Jucodeo The Sky is Falling!

Jun 15, 2016
    I am happy we could help you, and if you ever need any more help just give a holler because we are always available to help! We are a big happy family here [​IMG]
    Justin [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by