Just joined

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Cooper Coop, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Cooper Coop

Cooper Coop Just Hatched

Feb 18, 2017
    Gravenhurst, Ontario
    Hello Everyone!

I am a newbie so very excited to be on here. Just ordered myself 6 day old chicks to arrive on March 29th. Been researching this endeavor for a couple months now. Will be starting construction of my coop very soon. Any suggestions, tips, tricks etc... will be most welcome : )

2. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Great to have another poultry lover!
    Make sure your coop is easy to clean out. My coop is horrible to clean out it which makes me never want to clean it out. Which also make me regret my design so much.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens, Cooper Coop. I love your avatar. Coops that are tall enough to stand up inside, are usually easier & not back breaking to clean. Lots of people also have a 'poop board," under the roost bars to collect the droppings and make it easier to clean off

I'm sure others will have more suggestions.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC - so very glad you've joined us!
    The "coops" tab up top can be a great place to look at all sorts of coop designs and find bits and pieces that you want to incorporate into your own design. I, personally, always have a walk-in style coop because it is what is easy and comfortable for me - but not everyone is up to something that big. Whatever design you choose definitely consider things like cleaning, access for filling any feed/water stations you intend to have inside, ventilation and bird comfort - if you don't go walk-in make sure you can reach every part of the interior of the coop from whatever access points you do have because you never know when you'll need to reach a sick bird, a stray egg, a knocked over feeder, etc....same goes for any run you build, make sure you can reach all parts of it and preferably without having to be crawling around in/on chicken poop. Also, I would encourage to build a bit bigger than you think you need because you can't have too much room for your birds *and* it allows for the nearly inevitable "chicken math" setting in which can take your 6 and magically turn them into 8 or more, lol.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. Once you decide on a design for your coop, you can share it on the Coops and Runs forum - I'm sure people will help / make suggestions as to how it may be improved.

Best wishes
    CT

6. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

The best tip I can give you is to start on the coop as soon as possible. Those little chicks grow fast!

Good luck to you!

7. Cooper Coop

Cooper Coop Just Hatched

Feb 18, 2017
    Gravenhurst, Ontario
    Thank you all for your responses and the great advice!

8. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Get started now on that coop, it will take twice as long and cost twice as much as you think, and make it twice as big while you are at it!

Good luck

Gary

9. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens! Thanks for joining, I'm sure you'll love it here! :frow

~Cuz

10. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Cooper Coop [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some great links and advice, I will just wish you and your little ones all the best when they arrive .. very exciting!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by