Just joined!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MountainDont, Mar 14, 2018.

1. MountainDont

MountainDont In the Brooder

Mar 14, 2018
    Austin, Texas
    Hey everyone! Just signed up because today, I got nine chicks and I might need some assistance in raising them. But I'll be posting in the appropriate forum about that here shortly.

I honestly didn't think I'd care much for chickens; my mom (who more than likely has an account here, too) had been researching chickens for years because she wants to have a yard full of them at some point. We've already gathered five chickens over the past few months, and after seeing how sweet they are, I kind of fell in love. My mother knows a lot about chickens, but me not so much. I figured I'd sign up because I'm going to be helping her now. These nine chicks are my responsibility, after all! Every chicken that we've gathered is our pet, these nine little ones included.

Plip, 007Sean, penny1960 and 5 others like this.
  2. wendylj

wendylj Chirping

Mar 11, 2018
    Northern Ontario, Canada
    Welcome MountainDont. I'm quite new here myself and have already gotten a lot of nice greetings and help. You'll enjoy it here. Great advice.

Plip, 007Sean, Teila and 4 others like this.
  3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Welcome to BYC. If you are a minor, be sure not to post your age. You'll find lots of information in the learning center. I started my first flock when I was 12 years old.

4. Smuvers Farm

Smuvers Farm Melvin Up the Taterhole

Feb 16, 2017
    TN/Western KY Border
    :welcome:celebrate

Glad you're here !

A must have for your poultry is a FIRST AID KIT for any issues that would arise. (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/suggestions-for-a-first-aid-kit.1150128/)
    It's definitely better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

Also, make sure your coop(s) have a proper amount of VENTILATION. (https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop.47774/) Your chickens will absolutely thank you for it!

One last thing, if you're into gardening, feel free to join this years SEED SWAP (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/seed-swap.1220129/)

5. :welcome Welcome!! I'm new too! We're glad you joined!

007Sean, drumstick diva and N F C like this.
  6. Meg-in-MT

Meg-in-MT Free Ranging

Jan 29, 2018
    SW Montana
    Hello and welcome to BYC!! Your user name cracked me up :) Good luck on your chicken adventures!

7. MountainDont

Mar 14, 2018
    Austin, Texas
    Thank you, everyone! Fortunately, I'm not a minor; I just live with my mother because we get along so well and we both have a love for animals. (I'm hoping one of these days I can convince her to let me get a cow. Moo.) And I'll be sure to read about the first aid kit and ventilation! Thanks again. c:

8. alexa009

alexa009 Crossing the Road

Apr 6, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    Welcome to Backyards! Glad you finally are starting to take interest in chickens! If you want to learn more about chickens BYC is the place! What breeds do you have? If you are uncertain then post in the breed and gender forum and the BYC members are sure to answer it!

9. MountainDont

Mar 14, 2018
    Austin, Texas
    I'm not so sure about breeds. We've got two black australorps in the chicks we've got, but the rest I'm not sure of. I'll post pictures of them once they're a bit older and used to handling so that their breeds can be identified in the appropriate forum.

10. N F C

N F C is it nap time yet?

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

How fun you and your mother can share the poultry hobby! Make yourself at home here and thanks for joining us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: