1. jgconnor

jgconnor Out Of The Brooder

Hi, folks!
    I just joined the forum. I have an introductory post in new members section.

Can anybody tell me where I can get free plans for a coop that will hold about a dozen or so birds?

Thanks so much!

2. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Hello from Texas! [​IMG] And welcome. Have you checked out the coops on the home page? Lots there. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Micah

3. MicMoo

MicMoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
  4. billfields

billfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:Welcome!

It's not free but I would suggest the book Building Chicken Coops for Dummies. (you can get it on Amazon for about 12 bucks now) I'm in the middle of building mine and I've found it really useful---although I'm going with plans I came up with myself, I got lots of great ideas from it. There are several plans from a small A-frame to a walk-in coop. My only word of caution is I think they allow too little space per chicken thus overestimating how many chickens each of their coops will hold.

I would also suggest you take some time to go through posts on the coop section here. LOTS of great coops with photos. You can't help but get ideas!

Bill

5. jgconnor

jgconnor Out Of The Brooder

Quote:Thanks, Bill! That brings a question: Is there a rule of thumb for X number square feet per bird?

6. jafo

jafo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    4 sq feet for large breeds, 2 for bantams

7. Trunkster

Trunkster Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Welcome from Perth Ontario Canada. We got "Rasing Chickens for Dummies" from the library and it was full of answers you're looking for.

8. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Rule of thum is 4 sq' inside the coop and 10 sq' of run for each large fowl and 1/2 that for bantams. If they'll be spending a lot of time "cooped up" it's best to go bigger and if they are going to freerange and/or have a larger run that can be used year round (good climate or protected covered run) you can get away with a slightly smaller coop. Bigger is better though, especially since chicken keeping is addictive and you'll likely decide you "need" more before long. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Hi Jim! I'm from middle Tn...welcome to the most addicting chicken site on the web! 4 square feet per bird inside the coop and 10 square feet per bird in the run is the standard, anything less and they will start pecking each other and that isn't pretty! I have a run, but mine free range all day and just go back to the run for water. Check out the coop pages for sure...there are some fabulous coops there to get ideas from...ranging from small to large, simple to elaborate, free to expensive! Also, don't use chicken wire! 1x2 welded wire or hardware cloth will keep predators out. Ventilation is very important in your coop, but not down low where drafts will blow on your chickens. Good luck and read, read, read everything you can on here about coops/runs/predators etc. etc.

10. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    [​IMG]

I found a ton of ideas in the Coop Designs section of the forum. We have some very creative people who managed to construct great coops for very little cost. As Kittymomma mentioned, be sure to give your feathered family room to grow. I wish I had, because now I need an addition!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by