Just joined

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kwoody88, Sep 22, 2011.

1. kwoody88

kwoody88 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2011
    Birmingham, AL
    I got my first chicks in March 2011 and have been really enjoying them. I have 7 Black Australorps, all hens, and raised them and now they are laying [​IMG] Hoping to get more soon! Located in Birmingham, AL

I also am a huge dog lover, and have 3 dogs myself. I foster dogs for an area rescue though, and currently have 6 foster puppies and an older foster dog. And I live in the city! (Chickens are against local ordinance, but my neighbors love them!)

2. kwoody88

Sep 22, 2011
    Birmingham, AL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. icedover4ever

icedover4ever New Egg

Sep 22, 2011
    Hey there. I'm a newbie too. In fact, I'm still considering the idea of getting some chickens. I'm not far from you. I live in the outskirts of Birmingham way out in the woods. My kids really want some chickens and I like the idea of having my own fresh eggs and the idea of the kids learning to care for the chickens. I'm just a little nervous about the work that it will require from me. I have kids, dogs and cats so the thought of adding more living creatures to care for worries me. I don't want to take on more than I can handle.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, kwoody88 and [​IMG]. Fine looking chicks you have there. [​IMG] I have mixed flock of pullets I ordered and two of them are BA. Best of luck to you and your birds. [​IMG]

5. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! So glad you joined us. Love the pics!!

[​IMG]

6. kwoody88

Sep 22, 2011
    Birmingham, AL
    Thanks for the welcome! They haven't gotten much bigger since those pics were taken. That little house is their coop, at least for now. I'm hoping to build them a new structure -- I have a design, but haven't started it yet or bought the materials.

Icedover4ever, if you have any questions let me know. Or if you need to come see the chickens. They really aren't much work, in my opinion. As babies they were much more work, but they are also much more fun. Having fresh eggs every day is quite nice, and they are a fun conversation piece and my guests always enjoy seeing them. They're friendly, too.

I'm hoping to get some Silkies soon. I had worried they wouldn't get along with my BAs, but I've been reading more and don't think it should be a problem. It's just finding some Silkie pullets that is the problem -- they are all either straight run or roos.

7. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Love the pictures! [​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

9. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] from Ga. They are so beautiful. I love them. I too love dogs. I have 4 rescued dogs. They are also my life. Welcome to the addiction.

10. suburbanchickymama

suburbanchickymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Apex, NC
    [​IMG] from Apex, NC! [​IMG] Adorable coop and chicks!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by