Just joined

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TwoChooks, Oct 25, 2014.

1. TwoChooks

TwoChooks New Egg

Oct 25, 2014
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    Hi everyone, We are Victoria and Scott and from Hamilton, New Zealand and go tour first two Black Orpington pullets in November last year (just before our summer). We named them Polly and Penny. Polly was the first to lay and did so on March 6th this year. She stopped over the winter months (June, July, August). Penny started laying in about August, when Polly started again. So now we had two hens! Sadly Penny became unwell and on the vets advice we had to put her to sleep. This was last week. The vet thought she had a blockage. So now Polly is all alone. We are going to try to get her to hatch some fertile eggs so we are eagerly watching out for any signs of broodiness, or as we call it, going on the cluck. We believe this is better then trying to introduce new hens.

BYC has been a great source of information for us over the past year. We love having chickens. I was always against getting chickens, until Scott, who had had chickens as a boy, talked me into it. he suggested Black Orpingtons. As luck would have it there were two pullets for sale just down the road from us - only about a kilometer away. So before we knew it was had chooks. The place we go them from kindly held on to them while Scott, with the neighbours help,built a house - we had an old dog kennel run and used that for them too. I absolutely love havng chickens, I had no idea what wonderful personalities they have. I don'tthink I will be without them now.

I took a little video of them in February this year....
    [​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry about the loss of Penny. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens - really enjoyed the video. You have two very happy - healthy looking girls - congratulations. Is your cat just an observer?

1 person likes this.
  4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

I'm sorry for your loss![​IMG] Good luck with Polly. I hope she goes broody soon and can hatch you some chicks!

1 person likes this.
  5. fawkestheman

fawkestheman Chillin' With My Peeps

Glad you joined BYC! [​IMG] I joined not too long ago and I love it! Im sorry to hear about Penny[​IMG] But good luck hatching eggs! Do you have a rooster to fertilize your eggs?

1 person likes this.
  6. TwoChooks

TwoChooks New Egg

Oct 25, 2014
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    thank you

7. TwoChooks

TwoChooks New Egg

Oct 25, 2014
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    We have fertilised eggs from a lady not too far from us. We can get more later if this doesn't work or if Polly doesn't get broody! One of our neighbours has a rooster and their chooks do come over to our property but we don't think our chook has met thir rooster and she doesn't really have anything to do with them.

8. fawkestheman

fawkestheman Chillin' With My Peeps

Ahh ok! Good luck! And keep us posted!

1 person likes this.
  9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Fingers crossed she'll hatch those eggs for you!

10. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by