Just killed my first animal..

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Morgan7782, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Alright, it was a nice day in the backyard I was just hanging out with the chickens when this crow flies smack dab into one of my trees. Hit the trunk dead on and fell to the ground. Of course ALL 5 chickens RUN over to investigate, and possible chow down. I run over, holding my dogs collar to keep HIM from eating the crow and waving my arms and kicking dirt at my chickens to keep THEM at bay.

Finally Mom comes and takes the dog, and I look at the crow. It's panting heavily and is bleeding from the nose. It is TRYING to move but can't, so I am guessing it broke its neck when it flew into the tree. There WAS a crack when it hit the trunk. So it's still alive, but suffering. Eyes are VERY much alive it wasn't doing any "dead bird" twitching. My Mom can't deal, and keeps telling me to take a shovel and just toss it in the garbage. But it's still alive.. I couldn't do that and let it suffer, I don't care WHAT kinda animal it is.

So I take a shovel, pick the poor girl (guess) up and walked her to the driveway. I could feel her panting through the shovel handle. I put her on the concrete, adjusted her beak so her neck was as out as it could be, and boom. I made sure to seperate head from body to ENSURE death. There was no noise or even twitching afterward, and she isn't suffering anymore. I cried a little afterward just because this was my first ever kill to an animal and even though it was a wild bird, she was a beautiful crow.

We called the local animal control and bird flu hotline JUST IN CASE, but I am pretty sure cause of death was a broken neck. I dispatched her in the front yard, far away from anywhere my chickens would be.

Anywho, I feel a little better now, and said a little prayer for the pretty crow. Glad she is out of her misery.

I did the right thing, right..? [​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Yes you did right. For a crow to just fly into a tree is odd. It might have been sick, so it was a good idea to move it away.

Imp- sounds kind of sad too.

3. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Yes, you did the right thing. (but I felt the same way when I killed the snake headed to the hen house and his neck was not broken until I got ahold of him) But yes on the crow......

4. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    If you believed it would have died and showed now signs of being able to recover from accident, then giving it a quick death was the nicest thing you could do for it.

5. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Yeah we called the Animal Control just in case. I kept it FAR away from chicken access. I am certain it would have suffered a horrible death because it was trying to move but was paralyzed which is why I think the neck was broken. Same goes with bleeding from the nose. Her eyes were concious it seemed though, not glazed over with shock so I knew she was hurting. I am glad she is not in pain anymore, and in a sense it almost feels like a right of passage, like I can do this if EVER the need arise with my own chickens (i.e. broken neck or other need to cull.) God forbid!

6. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

You did the right thing. I know it was tough. [​IMG]

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Man, that had to be tough. You did good, as sad and rough as it had to be to put it out of its misery.

[​IMG]

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Yes you did do the right thing for the animal. The right thing is very rarely the easiest to do. Well done for doing right by the animal. [​IMG]

9. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I hope your mom was able to give you a hug. I know I would if I was nearby. You are so right about it being a right of passage. It never gets a lot easier, but sometimes it is the right thing to do.
    [​IMG]

10. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Sweetie, my heart goes out to ya! You did the right thing, even though it was hard. It would have been harder to let it suffer. It is odd that he/she flew into a tree at full speed like that, so double good on you for keeping it away from your girls so they don't eat it as it may very well have already been ill.

Hugs to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by