Just killed my polish :(

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ninjascrub69, Oct 28, 2010.

1. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    I went out to feed the chickenst today, and my polish was shaking, wheezing, and had snot running out of its nose (im assuming it had an upper resperatory infection) so i had to cull it [​IMG] , it always hung around my cornishX pullet, so i think he caught it from her or something [​IMG]

2. FlipFlopFarmer

FlipFlopFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

did u try any antibiotics or any other treatment?

3. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Quote:Nope, all the farmers i live by said to just kill it, i tried oxine for a few days but it just kept getting worse

4. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Sorry to hear that I loved my polish.

5. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    I'm sorry,

But you just may have saved the rest of your flock..

Christal

6. MomMommyMamma

MomMommyMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    I'm sorry too.
    I hope the rest of your birds don't show any signs of whatever it was. [​IMG]

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Keep a close eye on the rest of your flock. Respiratory infections are extremely contagious and can rapidly reach epidemic proportions in your flock. If he was exhibiting symptoms to the degree stated, the rest of your flock is already exposed. Good luck, and prepare to treat with antibiotics if your flock crashes.

8. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

X2. You're stronger than I for doing what you had to do. These infections can be treated though it does take time and you would absolutely have to keep on it. If your birds were exposed enough to catch it, there are a few soluble powders that can go in their water and you can just treat as a whole.

9. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    I had to cull my favorite BR Roo last month for the same thing. Then last week I noticed one of the girls sneezing, which is how the Roo started. I isolated her and treated her with antibiotics and she recovered. Yesterday I saw another girl begin to "cough." Still monitoring this one, as it is totally different and from the other two before her. If she is still doing it tomorrow I am going to treat the whole flock, and probably go ahead and worm them at that time too.

10. FlipFlopFarmer

FlipFlopFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Not to throw stones or ruffle feathers, but i hear alot of cull, cull, cull on here. I have chickens, and while havent been faced with that dilema yet, my good friend who raises silkies has twice, and twice ( both times respiratory), chose to diligently medicate and isolate. I suppose i would take into account the chickens worth and purpose, my friends silkies are quite valuable both in attatchement and monetary value. Not everything respiratory will be a lethal epidemic. Good luck to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by