Just label the brooder "different" and I'm hooked!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by andalusn, Apr 10, 2011.

1. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    I need more peeps like a hole in my head [​IMG] Stopped to get hay and came home with Partridge Chantecler & Egyptian Fayoumi peeps. I liked the idea of the lacing on the Chantecler and the Fayoumi breed is known to be good free rangers. So, setup another brooder to watch them and make sure they eat/drink.. These are some of the smallest day old peeps I have ever had.

2. MamaHynne

MamaHynne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Green Cove Springs
    Pics Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease![​IMG]

3. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    I have never has chantecler, but love me some Fayoumi's. [​IMG]

Hardy, good forager's and the rooster is the most protective we have ever had. There is something ancient about the breed. They are beautiful too. (Mine love to roost in trees at night if I don't keep them penned up!)

4. Patchesnposies

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    This is what my 2 week old Fayoumis look like:
    [​IMG]

These are juveniles:
    [​IMG]

5. andalusn

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    Quote:Do you hatch your own birds or get them from a hatchery? I am hoping the Fayoumis blend in well with my Brabanter breed. They too are good foragers and love to roost as high as possible.

6. Patchesnposies

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    I could not find anyone selling Egyptian Fayoumi eggs anywhere...BYC, Ebay, EggBid...no one had them when I was looking for them. OKCarla, on here, did have them at one time but then sold her flock. So, I got them (I think) from Murray McMurray, or it may have been Ideal Hatchery. The two little ones in the basket are out of my test hatch of our own eggs.

7. andalusn

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    Made everyone come out from under the Ecoglo brooder.. they love it! Snapped a pic. The two on the Right are the Partridge Chantecler and 4 others are the Egyptian Fayoumi. They have this neat leopard pattern on their back right now.

[​IMG]

8. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Oh my gosh, that pattern is beautiful! [​IMG] Congrats, I'm jealous! [​IMG]

9. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    Wow, they are gorgeous. We never have anything different or exotic at TSC or Co-op. Just the regulars. [​IMG]

10. andalusn

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    Quote:We have a good number of private feed stores that are not a chain and they buy from different hatcheries. They seem to offer a nice selection. Next week is the breed I have been counting the days on... Spanish Crele Penedesenca that is known to lay a very dark egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by