Just learning how to raise hens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by stauff, May 16, 2016.

1. stauff

stauff New Egg

May 16, 2016
    I had two roasters and two hens i keep my roaster apart but left one with my hens. Mama started laying but then i removed my roaster and mama keep laying her eggs but five days ago she dug a deep hole in the dirt and started sitting on them. Mama only gets up to eat and drink can someone help understand this i don't want to get to excited

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    She is probably broody. How long has she been separated from the rooster? If you want chicks and he hasn't been with her recently the eggs will not be fertile. You also need to get more hens for your roosters or get rid of one. Two roosters to two hens will lead to problems. Hope everything works out for you! [​IMG]

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! She sounds like she is broody and wants to incubate and hatch the eggs. Here's an article that's most helpful on broody hens ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/guide-to-letting-broody-hens-hatch-and-raise-chicks

I also agree that you would be better getting more hens. One roo can easily handle 10 hens on his own. The mire hens you have the less likely the hens are to be over bred.

Good luck and enjoy BYC :frow

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock, glad you joined us.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by