just learning

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ali, Aug 29, 2007.

1. ali

ali Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2007
    newalla, ok
    [​IMG] hi i'm ali, i got my bantams in june of this year. 1 young roo 1 momma and 7 chicks. i love them sooo much but i'm clueless. i really want to breed bantam reds so i recently got a beauuutiful rir roo. i have so many questions but i'll only start with one. since my chicks no longer need sitting on, when can i expect momma to lay?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Momma hen will probably lay within a month of kicking her chicks away but that depends on the bird. As for your RIR roo, are you planing on keeping him with the bantams? I would worry that your RIR, if not a bantam, will push his adult 8lb or so self against the bantam roo and may hurt your bantam hen too.

3. ali

ali Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2007
    newalla, ok
    i thought about that to. and i do worry. but my bantam roo was here first my red roo tho a little older seems (for now) to see that banti roo's the man. so far i have'nt had any problems (it's only been 4 days)[​IMG] momma keeps red on the run, he's not allowed to roam with the others she does let him in the coop pushing a couple of the younger ones to the run or roost. other than that and reds lonely moan, everythings fine. i pray for their safety daily. what if i got a red or buttercup hen would that make it better?[​IMG] or to much?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by