Just locked down and as I closed the top I got a pip!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by itsy, Aug 1, 2011.

1. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    This is my first incubation....

I thought lockdown was yesterday, but then thought I made a mistake and that it was really today....

So I just removed the eggs from the turner and put them on the wire bottom. I hope I didn't do anything wrong! Should I have just left them in the turner unplugged??

One started pipping right away!!

2. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    You are right to take them out of the turner and just lay the egg on it side. That will work. Enjoy the movie! [​IMG]

3. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    But will that one pipped one make it?!

Why would it pip so soon???

EEk! I'm freaking out!

4. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Oh my goodness.... I just heard peeping. [​IMG]

5. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    Just breathe.... In... out... In... out... [​IMG]

6. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Quote:Oh I'm so excited for you!!! No matter how many hatches you have, nothing beats the flutter in your tummy when you hear the first one in the current hatch begin to peep!!! [​IMG]

7. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Rebel... you'd make a good lamaze partner! [​IMG]

BDG.... Thanks! This is nerve wracking, though. I hope they all make it.

8. BigDaddy'sGurl

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    If it's any consolation, I'm hatching too! I had 7 EE eggs in lockdown and now I have two babies drying off and 3 of the remaining eggs are pipped... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Oh how exciting! Yes, it's good to know I'm not going through this alone [​IMG] I can see why people get hatching buddies.

What was your pipping to zipping times?

Hmm.... how long can I keep them in there before moving them to the brooder? I'm afraid that if I get a chick in the morning that it's going to have to wait too long before I get home from work tomorrow.....

This is exciting!!

ps... I love EE's. Our two girls are a bit scatterbrained, though. They freak out like I'm going to eat them if I try to pick them up.

10. BigDaddy'sGurl

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Most people say do NOT open the incubator until the hatch is complete...I haven't had a problem with this myself, just make it quick and have a cup of warm water handy to fill up the reservoirs...or in my case, to dampen the paper towel near the eggs before you reclose it. When I got home from work around 12:30 today I had two pipped. The first hatched at around 5:30 pm and the second about an hour ago. Others are beginning to zip.

This has actually been really quick for me this time! I usually have to wait 12-15 hours at least from pip to zip...

Glad you're my hatching buddy too! [​IMG]

These eggs I bought at an auction: the eggs were blue but the chicks are hatching yellow with pink skin and legs, and straight combs? Mixed up bunch I guess, lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by