Just locked down and need help

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Bigbill, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Bigbill

Bigbill New Egg

Apr 10, 2011
    First off let me say that this site is awesome, and i love how helpful you've all been. Thank you. This is my first time hatching and I just locked down 90 coturnix quail. It's day 14 and as soon as I took them out of the turner and put them on the wire, some of them began shaking. My questions are: is this normal, and how soon could I start seeing them pip?

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Yep And Anytime Between 12 Hrs And 5 Days

3. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:Welcome Bigbill, If you have a average hatch rate, I would expect some where between 40 to 50 fuzz balls in the next few days. Have you a brooder set up? 2, 90 to 105 qt totes would'nt be too many. In 2 weeks, they will be crowded in 2 totes. Around 95 to 100 degs is a good target temp.

Shallow quail water fount or chick fount with marbles and a jar lid with Game Bird Startena are always in mine too. Some folks grind the feed to corn meal like size, some dont. I do like to sprinkle feed all over my brooder floors, which is covered with the non-skid shelf liner for the first week, then I go to pine chips. This way where ever a chick falls a sleep and drops his head, theres food right there. They will find water by them selves, food is another matter.

There is a thread about hatching in cartons, or up right, I think its worth reading. Folks have good hatches both ways, but the upright position allows for a higher humidity level to be maintained and less chance of drowning chicks. Higher humidity helps eliminate "shrink wrapped" chicks. Both are a common cause for chick loss just after a chick pips the egg. If you have questions, just post up and some one will surely help you out. I learn from this site everyday, Im sure you will too. Bill

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  4. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:Yes, this can't be stressed enough JJ!

Bigbill, coturnix are not the most punctual hatchers in the world. It's also difficult to even see pips on the mottled shells.
    Please don't over fret, about the hatch date, just keep your temp as stable as you can, and humidity at 60% or above. Fat Daddy has a very valid point. Spin up that brooder now! Get a no less than 100 deg. hot spot in it and stand by to place some fuzzy butts right in the hot spot.

Good luck with your hatch BB!

5. OzawkieBantams

OzawkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Ozawkie, KS
    nothing better then hatching fuzzy butts

6. Bigbill

Bigbill New Egg

Apr 10, 2011
    My brooder has been up and running for two days and the temp under the bulb is 100. Thanks again for all the great advice.

7. millebantam

millebantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Little Rhody
    Quote:Welcome Bigbill, If you have a average hatch rate, I would expect some where between 40 to 50 fuzz balls in the next few days. Have you a brooder set up? 2, 90 to 105 qt totes would'nt be too many. In 2 weeks, they will be crowded in 2 totes. Around 95 to 100 degs is a good target temp.

Shallow quail water fount or chick fount with marbles and a jar lid with Game Bird Startena are always in mine too. Some folks grind the feed to corn meal like size, some dont. I do like to sprinkle feed all over my brooder floors, which is covered with the non-skid shelf liner for the first week, then I go to pine chips. This way where ever a chick falls a sleep and drops his head, theres food right there. They will find water by them selves, food is another matter.

There is a thread about hatching in cartons, or up right, I think its worth reading. Folks have good hatches both ways, but the upright position allows for a higher humidity level to be maintained and less chance of drowning chicks. Higher humidity helps eliminate "shrink wrapped" chinks. Both are a common cause for chick loss just after a chick pips the egg. If you have questions, just post up and some one will surely help you out. I learn from this site everyday, Im sure you will too. Bill

Bill, I would do everything possible to prevent these.

8. Fat Daddy

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    I only bring it up because in the original post it was mentioned the eggs were placed on wire. With a Hovabator 1588, which is the forced air model. The fan blowing on eggs that have pipped, promotes shrink wrapping if humidity is not high. High humidity with eggs laying on there side sometimes = drowned chicks if there slow to hatch after pipping. Folks have good results both ways, but with game birds, I feel up right hatching has benefits... Bill

9. millebantam

millebantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Little Rhody
    I was referring to your typo in bold, lol.

10. Fat Daddy

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:Even in bold, I didnt catch it till you pointed it out. Maybe I ought to fix that. thanks man.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by