Just looking for advice

charlesincharge

In the Brooder
Nov 10, 2015
hello all!
about a week and a half ago I purchased 5 young coturnix, i've since lost two (I believe some were different ages and I didn't have the appropriate strength of heat lamp to keep them warm). this is the first time I've ever had quail and I just want to keep them happy and healthy until I can move them outside in the spring.

I'm about 90% sure I have two males and one female, I'm guessing they're around 4-5 weeks old.

The largest one is very obviously male with a cinnamon colored chest and mahogany colored cheeks, the smallest one mimics these markings.

The female is a bit smaller with a more speckled chest. All appear to be fully feathered.

I have these three in a 3' x 2' x 2.5' storage container topped with hex mesh and a 125 watt heat lamp shining in the corner of the enclosure.

my questions are:

at what point should I remove the heat lamp? (the house is currently about 65ish degrees, as winter sets in the house will be heated)

I feel like two males on one female may cause some issues. I haven't noticed any mating business just yet, but should I just separate them after I remove the heat lamp to avoid fights?

I'm not looking to have any fertile eggs at this point just due to space issues so I'll most likely just stick any laid eggs in the fridge, but in case I miss one, do coturnix ever brood their own eggs?

I'l love any additional tips and tricks people have for keeping coturnix.

I'm sure I'll come up with more questions but thanks in advance for any help!

Back
Top Bottom