just looking for some advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OkValleyGirl, Mar 10, 2016.

1. OkValleyGirl

OkValleyGirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2016
    Hello all

I recently adopted a chicken I name Shelby...from my landlord he got her at the auction...she is older and she has some big problems with her legs. She can't stand like a normal chicken or walk she stands on her whole leg not just your toes... I just don't have the heart to put her down..she is so beautiful I'm trying to rehabilitate her ..so that she can live a normal chicken life.. here is some pic of her problem..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks

2. MESOFRUFFEH

MESOFRUFFEH Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2015
    East Texas
    Poor baby! She looks so sweet, and it sounds like she is in good hands. I'm sure there will be plenty of people here who can offer you some advice. The only advice I can offer is you could maybe make her a sling to help keep weight off of her legs during the rehabilitation process. I made one for my hen when she broke her leg and it was healing and it really seemed to help. I used a cardboard box, slipped a t-shirt over it, and used binder clips to hold the t-shirt securely around the top of the box. Then I cut leg holes and a poop hole. Took a few T-shirts to get my holes just right. You could also use an old towel instead of a t-shirt. [​IMG]
    Here is what her sling looked like. I'm sure someone with a lot more knowledge of chicken ailments will come along here later and tell you more! Sorry I am not more help, I hope Shelby gets better! [​IMG]

3. OkValleyGirl

Mar 10, 2016
    Thanks i made her one but she hates it .. always trying to get out of it..

4. MESOFRUFFEH

Sep 15, 2015
    East Texas
    Yes, that was why I had that big ace bandage over the back of my hen, she kept trying to get out lol! I am really amazed no one else has chimed in yet with some suggestions yet.... I am definitely far from being an expert. I wish I could help more!

5. OkValleyGirl

Mar 10, 2016
    I have her in a sling now ...her legs are getting a little stronger but not strong enough to hold her up or walk ..
    thanks so much for your advice

6. OkValleyGirl

Mar 10, 2016
    [​IMG]
    She took a few steps today i was so excited..

7. MESOFRUFFEH

Sep 15, 2015
    East Texas
    She is just too sweet! I did some looking online, and I'm not 100% sure this is what she has, but it looks awfully similar, curly toes... check out this link... https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/58624/for-curled-toes-how-much-poly-vi-sol-to-adminsiter-how

You may start her on some poly-vi-sol and see if that helps, make sure you get the kind without iron. They have it at walgreens and walmart etc., its over by the baby/kids vitamins usually.

You can also make splints or "shoes" to help straighten out their toes. Here are some more links that may help you:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/233669/rooster-with-curled-toes-pics

https://www.google.com/search?q=cur...UIBygB&biw=1920&bih=955#imgrc=K8OZ5QDafZjOZM:

here is a really good thread with lots of ideas for "shoes"
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/51112/chick-with-curled-toes

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/206264/curled-toes-cant-walk

I really wish I could help more, if i find any more information that I think would be useful I'll update with links. I will keep looking! Is she unable to straighten her legs and stand on them? Does she shuffle around on her hocks? Do you think its because she can't straighten her legs, or because she can't support the weight on her feet? Or maybe something else? That info might help narrow down more specifically what is going on with her. It looks like her feet have been that way for a while so I hope you can still straighten them out.

8. OkValleyGirl

Mar 10, 2016
    Thanks you most helpful..

9. OkValleyGirl

Mar 10, 2016
    Made Some shoes today hope it helps[​IMG]

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It is probably too late for the shoes or splinting to help. If it is done in the first couple of days of life, crooked toes can sometimes be fixed. She is a sweet looking little hen. Someone made a sling into a little walker for their chicken once. If I come across the picture I will post it here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by