1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

just looking for some advice

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by OkValleyGirl, Mar 22, 2016.

1. OkValleyGirl

OkValleyGirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2016
    Is this a rooster or hen what breed is it? I'm thinking it's a rooster but it doesn't have long feathers
    He or she can't walk adopted it like that.. thanks for the help..[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. harmesonfarm

harmesonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2015
    Nanaimo, BC
    looks to me like a rooster, maybe a barred rock?

I'm a newbie too so hopefully someone with more knowledge/ experience can comment!

3. OkValleyGirl

OkValleyGirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2016
    I am new too ..

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It looks like a young barred rock rooster that probably has Mareks.

5. harmesonfarm

Oct 7, 2015
    Nanaimo, BC
    is not walking a symptom/ result of mereks? how old would a chicken be to have that sign show?

6. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Mareks is a viral form of cancer that causes internal tumors, the first signs are usually seen at around 5 months or so, paralysis is the main symptoms, there are other things like botulism and spinal injuries that cause problems too.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    There is also ocular Mareks which affects the eyes.. Put "The great big Mareks thread," in the search box and you can find out a lot about the disease. Survivors will be carriers for life.

2 people like this.
  8. harmesonfarm

Oct 7, 2015
    Nanaimo, BC
    hmmm, i was just curious because we've just got some young chicks between 2-5 weeks of age, they aren't vaccinated against mereks and my understanding is that it has to be done when they are 1 day old?

we have some older hens and i would hate for it to spread if it turns out they have it (i understand it's in the soil...?), is it really contagious? should we keep them fully seperated until 5-6 months old when the signs would be showing up?

9. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

If this chicken is carrying Marek's the disease will spread to your entire flock.

10. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I would read that thread that drumstick diva mentioned. It is mostly spread by feather dander, I have had a few with it in the past, thankfully it was limited to a few and I haven't seen it since, I don't vaccinate for it, but I'm willing to cull if it shows up again. I have recently read that my keeping turkeys has probably given my chickens some immunity because turkeys can carry a milder strain that will inoculate chickens.

I don't think quarantine works well because it can spread on the wind. At this point I don't think it matters and they will either show symptoms or not, not all that get infected become sick, and those that do should probably be culled. I now only get chicks from a single hatchery and avoid feed store chicks and swap meets.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by