1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just looking for some guidance . . . Might be something covered....Mean rooster and Free Range

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SouthernBornOUFan, Dec 30, 2012.

1. SouthernBornOUFan

SouthernBornOUFan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2010
    OKC
    A little bit of back story. I have 6 hens and 1 rooster. I bought them as chicks and for the 1st 3 or 4 months they were in a small coop/chicken tractor. Every day I'd let them out to free range.

I completed their more permanent home that is a approx 20x20 horse barn with a run going around 2 sides. The rooster just before this began to attack me and my wife. No biggie to me, I'd give him a solid smack and he's never hurt me. My wife is scared of him though however.

I'd like to let them free range once more as I can tell they want to. However they tend to hang out in one of two places. My front porch and poop on it. Or next door approx. 3/4 acre away where there is an older couple. My 2 fears are the rooster will attack or they will cause a problem with them.

Any suggestions? Would letting them out a few hours before sunset keep them closer to their coop? They have 360 acres to explore, but for some reason insist on going to the only other house close by. Or am I just just keeping them in and locked away?

2. SouthernBornOUFan

SouthernBornOUFan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2010
    OKC
    Also to add, I've put in a few large tumble weeds and even as of last week our Xmas tree for them to mess with. They also get a lot of leaves from the yard thrown in and lots of scraps.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by