Just lost a 10 week silkie to a red tailed hawk!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by infinitiy123, Aug 8, 2014.

1. infinitiy123

infinitiy123 New Egg

Jul 20, 2014
    Hello, we just lost a silkie to a hawk. I'm confused on how to prevent this since the chickens saw the hawk coming and ran into their coop. The hawk just eyed them for a moment then flew into the coop and picked up the smallest silkie and flew off. He actually dropped the silkie after he flew off but it was too late and the damage was done. How would I prevent this in the future? It looks like the chickens hid in the coop and did everything they could have to prevent the attack. Is overhead netting the only thing i can do?

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    [​IMG]

It will certainly help. Do you have a run attached to your coop, or is it just the building? An attached, covered run may help in the future. My chickens free range and have lots of cover, but we also have an attached run, covered in 2x4" welded wire.

3. Chick345

Chick345 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2014
    Wanachee WA
    YES. This is what I do since we have red tailed hawks in our back yard. But they don't really bother us.

~Eliana

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    When you have a hawk attack, plan to confine your birds in their covered run and coop for at least ten day, and watch for that hawk to move on elsewhere. If the birds are still available, he will be back for another easy meal, maybe every two or three days. Young chickens and bantams are easy pickings; as the chickens get larger, and as the survivors get more careful, things will improve. Free ranging birds have a better life, BUT losses will occur. Mary

5. CandJHens

CandJHens Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2013
    We had a hawk swoop down and miss my girls when they were out last weekend. I heard a thump and turned around to see the hawk just taking off. Thankfully, without one of the hens. It screamed so loud while circling the the yard. I noticed it again then next day it was way up in the sky...circling again. What I was surprised about was the hawk tried to get a hen while we were all out in the yard. Maybe 50 ft away. My though was the hens were ok if we were out with them. Any thoughts?

6. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    My DH and I supervise free ranging.we have had several close calls with hawks swooping down.i could reach out and touch them they are so close.last week my husband heard the swoosh of the hawk and it came within feet of me.The chickens seen it and went scattering.We went to our local tractor supply and found some heavy deer netting.It was 5x100 feet.My DH put up post and attached the netting 25 feet long and he put it it about 10 feet apart.he left it two feet off the ground,so the hens can walk under it.hopefully it will slow it down.so the girls can head for cover.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by